My sister is 14....

and I just saw a picture of her on facebook that was taken of her in the girls bathroom of her school during a dance where she is wearing a skirt so short and pumps so high... the skirt is short enough to show her underwear if shes not careful... and apparently i am the only sane one in my family who seems to think its not right! (shes in 8th grade for crying out loud!!!!!!!!) is this the norm? am i the weird one? because i know that my mom and stepfather would never have let me out of the house like that when i was that age! you would think my stepfather would be more strict with his own daughter (my sis and i have the same mom but different dads) but it seems he is less strict- is it the times or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Be the adult here and show mom the pics, this isnt your problem, its theres.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on May. 28, 2010

• she saw her when she left and my other sisters (the 14 yr old is the youngest, the rest of us are in our 20's) agree with my mom that its not inappropriate

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I would bring it to her and if you get nowhere with her then speak with your mother. My sister daughter would never be walk around like that no matter where it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on May. 28, 2010

• personally the way my family is that wouldnt be okay, but ill put myself in your situation
    im not dad, im not mom, but im the only older sibling and I took the place of a parent who wasnt ever around, (dad was never there) anyway so I would log into my sisters account, she's 12, delete the pics, i do have her password, and then head straight over to my moms and give her a nice lecture about my disappointment and go thru all of her clothes, and let her donate them, or burn them.

i dont play...neither does my mom so i dont think it would happen
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:51 AM on May. 28, 2010

• That isn't up to you..maybe you should have a talk with your sister about how trashy it looks..how disrespectful boys will treat her yadda yadda. I don't think it is okay. I am disgusted by how fast children are growing up now a days..and I'm pretty young!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 4:29 AM on May. 28, 2010

• If your mother didn't think that outfit was appropriate, why did she allow the girl to leave the house in it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on May. 28, 2010

• i do think with younger children in any family the parents relax the rules (big sister here!) i personally was allowed to wear whatever i wanted.. i sometimes dressed too slutty but mostly it made me find my personal style. just because someone wears something short doesnt make them a slut and honestly i am glad i was able to wear stuff while i was that freaking skinny... i would leave it alone. it is a typical big sibling gripe.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:19 AM on May. 28, 2010

• as an older sister, i would just try to encourage her to wear more appropriate clothing. my sister still dresses trashier than i would ever dream of. mind you she is 23 now.

they saw her leave the house as you said. and since she is the baby its possible they are letting her get away with more (not intentionally or anything). it does happen. but they are the parents and as long as you have voiced your concern respectfully to mom and dad and to your sister, there isnt' much else you can do.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:35 AM on May. 28, 2010

• You are right--it is not appropraite and they should know what their 14 year old is doing. Kids are trying to grow up too fast and they think they have to be sexual....no way!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:28 AM on May. 28, 2010

• She probably left the house in appropriate clothing and changed when she got there - it's not uncommon to sneak around that way! Show them the pic and let them deal with it.
    Anonymous