is it safe to have labor induced at 38 weeks?

do you have to have a medical reason to get induced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is completely up to your doctor. So i would speak with your doctor about inducing. If your doctor feels it's not in your best interestest. Your baby will be in your arms if you just want to be induced because you have had enough that is not a good enough reason for any doctor by 36 -37 weeks all us women have had enough. Being preggo for me was great and I felt great i worked 40 -45 hrs a week on my feet 8 -10 hours a day but my DD was healthy and still is and my labor was great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I think it depends on the hospital and the doctor both. My doctor is fully ok with inducing at 38 weeks if this is not your first child. The hospital however says 39 weeks unless medical issues. I am 36 weeks tomorrow. My doctor is inducing on June 20th if I don't have my son (my 5th) by then. It is safe to have labor induced at that point but I wouldn't push it unless you have a histor, as I do, of preeclampsia or other issues.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:34 AM on May. 28, 2010

• The March of dimes recommend waiting until 39 weeks to avoid the problems of prematurity which is on the rise because of inductions. Being induced increases your chance of c-section due to failure to progress and fetal distress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Our local hospital here won't allow induction or csection before 39 weeks without a medical reason, regardless of the dr. Almost 9 years ago I had my daughter induced at 38 weeks and she was fine, but they were concerned about her size due to the size of my first 2 and gestational diabetes.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Why wouldn't you want to you to full term? Why would you want to force labor if your baby is not ready to be born yet and you are not late and there is no risk to the baby by waiting? I just don't understand how women can choose to do this to their babies. Nature designed us in a specific way for a reason - because it works - so why mess with it & possibly put yourself & your baby at risk for unnecessary complications?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Anon :23 that is not always true. My husband was born 36 years ago and the doctors let him go 4 weeks past his due date. He had more complications and so did his mother because they let him go so long. My MIL describes her birthing room as black w/ purple lights...uhm yeah that is weird. She also had to have a cross episiotomy because he was in distress. When he was born, his skin was cracked and bleeding. I understand the techonology today is better, but if you don't have a medical degree or training, anymore you should just try to understand why things are done. Everyone is different and what is best for one person isn't always best for another. Honestly, I have been induced 2 of the 4 times and had no problems with failed progress or fetal distress. I have given birth vaginally and had no stitches with all 4 of my children meaning no tearing or otherwise. Inductions don't always mean c-section.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:44 AM on May. 28, 2010

• No I don't think it's a good idea unless medically necessary. Because your due date is more like a due range - You could actually be 4 weeks earlier than you think. inducing before your body is ready to eject the baby has serious risks like low birth rate, underdeveloped lungs, and a greater chance of ending up with a c section. a lot of women don't respond well to inductions. being preemie / having underdeveloped lungs can have lifelong consequences.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:50 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I would never induce that early. Doctors don't know everything! I know someone who's doctor induced her at 38 weeks because he was going to be out of town over her due date. (RIDICULOUS!) The baby was measuring close to 7 pounds. She wasn't ready to labor and had to have a c-section. And her baby came out just a little over 4 pounds and had to be in the NICU because his lungs weren't fully developed. You just never know that early! Some people are ready at that time, some aren't. You would be wise to wait until baby comes when he/she is ready.
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 8:56 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I was scheduled when I was 39 weeks for and induction. At 38 weeks the doctor removed my mucas plug to try to naturally induce labor (didn't work), and at 39 he had me admitted for an induction. When they looked at the ultra sound at 38 weeks, there seemed to be low amniotic fluid. However after my water was broke, they realized my daughter must have just been hogging the screen, because she blocked any view of a good picture of the fluid, or at least that was my doctors excuse.

IMO he just didn't want to have to deliver on Christmas. (tessa was born the 22nd of december). Needless to say with this next pregnancy, we got a different doctor.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:58 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Yes it's safe to be induced, but no doctor in his right mind should induce without it being medically necessary. Insurance companies will want to know why the induction is necessary before they will even consider paying for it. So unless you go to a questionable doctor and have no insurance I doubt you can just go in and say Induce me. There must be alot of OB/GYN who would do this since there are so many women who are anti-induction. But hey, you've made it 38 weeks what's two more?? I know it's hard toward the end, but you gotta wait it out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:01 AM on May. 28, 2010