CATHOLIC MOMS...

Would you be upset if you found out that your Child's Godparents are and have been attending a different Church? I found out that my cousin, my child's Godmother has been going to a Christian Church for a while now. I can't get over it. I know people may say the two Religions have similar beliefs, but I disagree. Am I overreacting? I've noticed that she has been acting differently. I specifically chose them because they were Catholic, and now I feel like we messed up by choosing them. She hasn't officially told me. She just said that she goes to a "different church." Any Advice/tips will be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think I'd be a little upset if I were in a similar situation and they just didn't tell us they were attending a different church. There's a reason the Catholic church requires you to choose Godparents who are not just Catholic but practicing Catholics. They have a specific religious based role that they are supposed to play in your child's life if you are ever unable to do so. It's their JOB to make sure your child is raised in the Catholic Church if for some reason you can't, otherwise they are there as your support. They knew that when they agreed to be Godparents, so no actually you aren't being overly critical or obnoxious and you are looking at "the real" picture (I personally find it hard to believe that the first responder is Catholic based on her reply...). I wouldn't say you "messed up", it sounds like they just changed their minds. I would talk to her about it and consider new Godparents (maybe unofficially?)
    Anonymous

• If they treat your child with love and respect and your child feels the same way abotu them .. What does it matter what church they go to? "Godparent" means what you want it to mean, and if you have chosen them has spiritual guiders, that is your job as well as your pastors' job to do. Not theirs. Their job is to be supportive and helpful when the time is necessary. I think you're being to over critical and obnoxious.. and should look at the real picture and not the one you CHOOSE to look out of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on May. 28, 2010

• They have the right to make up their own minds and change religions, or at least look into others. They can still be loving and good Godparents for your child. Having them for Godparents doesn't prevent you from teaching your child about Catholicism or from having other practicing catholics around your child. This is something you just need to let go of.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:12 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Catholics are Christian? Right? My thinking is that they could still guide your child in Christ even-though they go to a different church. Talk to them about it and see what you need to do.

Anonymous