We're living with friends but my son gets so loud what can I do to hush his screams?

So we recently had to move in with a friend of ours- and here they are not used to having a child so even when my sons squeels are joyful its too loud. and when he screams when having a tantrum or is just upset-cranky or whatever the reason toddlers scream for, its so bad, like I just dont know how to effectively stop him from doing this so much.
He understands real well, but I have tried to explain it to him, and tried a couple discipline methods- none of which seem to be working at all.
This is a hard time and Im worried we will wear out our welcome before we even fully unpack. How can I teach him to keep the volume down a bit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach him inside voice and outside voice. My DD just turned 2 and she is very smart for her age we have inside voice and outside voice and it took a few days to teach her it but I kept at it and she does well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on May. 28, 2010

• why dont you talk to your friend to see if he minds because after all he is a toddler. Even offer to buy a noise machine, like what therapists have outside of their offices, and put it outside your door, kind of muffle the noise a bit.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:54 AM on May. 28, 2010

• what they said & teach him some signs, if he can communicate better it'll cut down on the frustration screaming
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:54 AM on May. 28, 2010

• We make a game out of it. We'll all whisper and talk in our inside voices. We'll tip toe around and hold our finger to our lips like we're saying, "Quiet!" It's the only way we could get our two year old to keep his voice down while at the library. It has been very effective. : )

As far as full out tantrums, I'm still working on figuring out how to control those. Lol. Tell me if you get some headway! Good luck!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:51 PM on May. 28, 2010