Summer School ???

My DS preschool teacher wants him to go to summer school. Well the school he'd go to for summer school is in the ghetto; As in shootings, gangs, the whole nine yards. I don't know why they put it there, but DH says absolutly not (he grew up around here and the ghetto so I trust his judgement on it). I want him to go to summer school, but why in such a bad neighborhood. Would you let your preschooler go there? And now DH wants me to find DS a new preschool for next year because he hasnt learn anything or had improvements with his speach therapy. Only problem is without going to another district there is none that is free through the public schools. If I could afford home tutoring for his speeach therapy over the summer that would be great too. He's already behind, and I don't want him to get more behind while the other kids are going ahead.

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 5:20 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For me, safety is the most important.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 5:33 AM on May. 28, 2010

• If your ds is going to receive speech therapy over the summer, I would call the school district and request a different placement. Tell them your feelings about the neighborhood.
    When I was a visiting nurse in a "bad" neighborhood, the thinking was that the "bad guys" sleep late because the trouble is at night. If your son can just go in the morning, will that give him the therapy he needs and let you bring him home early (by 1 pm or so) each day? If you decide that he absolutely can NOT go to that school, ask for activities to do with him over the summer.

Read to him a lot. (free books from library) Encouage him to ask questions. And YOU ask HIM questions to get him to practice his speech.

Good luck with this, I know it's a hard decision!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:34 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Is there a WIC office nearby? They are a great resource on education and not just nutrition. They gave me a great resource sheet with local help and the numbers and addresses. I bet they would give it to you even without being on their program.
    Super-mom-me

Answer by Super-mom-me at 7:07 AM on May. 28, 2010

• safety is important... also kids from the ghetto could be a bad influence on him. i wouldnt let my son do it! just teach him at home. look into grants to pay for the tutoring. anyone can teach the prek standards.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:59 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Contact Social Services, some states offer educational assistance even if a family isn't on any other assistance, for children who meet the requirements and if your son needs a speech therapist there's a good chance he'll qualify. I'm not exactly sure what comes with educational programs provided by Social Services but it's worth looking into.
    Anonymous

• kjrn79 - There is no other school in my district for his age group in preschool. And we already do all those things; reading, talking to him, and trying to get him to talk already.

Super-mom-me - The WIC program here sucks, and is ran by a bunch of morons. Last time I went I was told I weighed 256lbs and 5 feet tall (at the time I was more like 145lbs and 5'5") Needless to say I don't trust their judgement on anything

AmaliaD - I'm not so worried about the kids, or relly what time of the day he goes. DH grandma lives in the ghetto annd we take the kids there all the time. Its more that we wont be with him there like we are at great grandmas. And as for ghetto kids my son hangs out with his 6 year old 3rd cousin who is a very ghetto kid, and I've never been worried.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 3:02 PM on May. 28, 2010