Any one diagnosed with IUGR!!!

My daughter went to the ob yesterday and had u/s...She is 24w3d baby is moving all the time and everything seems to be going fine!!! Well we seen the little one on the u/s. Tech said that she weighed 1.6 lbs. Baby is still breech and placenta is still low lying. When the doctor come in to talk to my DD she brought up IUGR. My DD is scheduled for another u/s June 24 to see if baby is growing...I guess my question is How can the doctor say that the baby is too small. I looked at 24 weeks fetus, baby sems to be right on target as far as weight gain. My DD hasn't really gained any weight maybe 5 pounds. My DD's first daughter only weighed 6.11 oz when she was born. My DD weighed 6.1 lbs and husband weighed 5.13 couldn't they just be having a small baby... Just curiuos if anyone else was told that they may have IUGR and what the outcome was...Thanks for any answers or advice on she can do...if anything!!!

mimilinda

Asked by mimilinda at 6:39 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had to get checked regularly for IUGR because I had low fluid levels; there isn't a lot that can be done on your daughter's part that I know of. I didn't have IUGR at any point, my belly just stopped growing and the baby kept going. They don't measure growth by weight, but by bone lengths in the arms and legs. If those are a little shorter than the average, or if your daughter has another issue (like a low placenta, maybe, or like low fluids) the ob may just have a "better safe than sorry" attitude. It doesn't sound like they definitely said she has IUGR, but that they want to monitor for it. The low weight gain is another factor in the decision most likely- that can cause problems if enough weight (from the person's initial weight it should be 25ish for obese women, 30ish for normal women and 35-40 for underweight women) isn't gained for some reason.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:53 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I'm just hoping & wishing for the best for this pregnancy. My DD was told the day before her son was born. In the ER after a ultrasound to go home her Baby died. This was her first Baby. She instead went to the check in at the OB. Dept. Thy didn't realize until the next day she was "in Labor"!! He was a preemie. But he's a healthy, happy love of my life grandson for me! My precious, Michael that just turned 5. Sometimes I don't know what they know! We can only do our best, take good care and hope for the best outcome! I wish for the Best here for you & your family!! Take Care!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:18 AM on May. 28, 2010