What are some chugal (cheap & frugal) ways to have fun this summer??

With the economy down and not a whole lot of money, what are some chugal ways you are being this summer? I have two kiddos and they are very outdoorsy so I am a wondering. So far, we have the local play parks and some national parks

MoMofTWOkiddos

Asked by MoMofTWOkiddos at 7:27 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Entertainment

• Our town has a website and we get emails from them when anything is going on around town. Like they just had for free where the kids could go see the public trucks, climb in them, color, enter contest. It was fun to go to. You might want to see if your town has where they send out emails.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on May. 28, 2010

• a season pass to the local pool, parks, and do some hiking. camping and fishing is fun and cheap, bbq's and bonfires are cheap enough.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:22 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I agree with previous poster,, a family pool pass will be way worth the money! Picnics,,, free puppet shows,, Our local library had things all of the time. You might also want to call the Y--they have a couple of inexpensive "mini" camps in our area! Have a great summer!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:07 AM on May. 28, 2010

• We have a lake about 5 miles down the road that has a public beach. I throw sandwiches, grapes, and some juice boxes into a backpack with a blanket and towels and we spend all summer swimming. I prefer the lake to a pool because it has a gradual slope so the 2 YO can get in and out easily w/out me throwing out my back :-) Plus he likes to destroy my sandcastles.

We do alot of hot dogs on the grill at home and play outside until dusk - especially when it's too hot to sleep. If you're kids are old enough to not wander off, hang a clothesline in your yard w/ a couple of blankets to make a tent and sleep out together. Just don't forget bug spray since the tent will be open. We hang a blanket off each side and attach them with clothespins. You'd be surprised how well kids sleep when they're out in the fresh air in summertime.

plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:35 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Local libraries often have free events. Many movie theaters offer free movies during the summer, and ours has popcorn for $.50 a bag. Go on a leaf (or nature) scavenger hunt looking for leaves, flowers, cones from specific trees or plants. Bike riding through the sprinklers. Watch for "free family" events at local museums (these can usually be found on their websites).
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 9:51 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Our favorite cheap way to have fun is swimming at the state park. We pack up a cooler with some hamburger patties, take some chairs and beach towels, the kids take their sand toys and we spend the day. We swim, build sand castles and grill burgers for dinner. We're already looking forward to going this summer. If you like camping, it's usually pretty cheap to tent camp at state parks.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Love the phrase CHUGAL. I agree with all of these posters cause I am doing the same thing! Libraries, museums, zoos, all public parks and facilities. Visit them grab their calendars and you will be surprised at how many FREE events you can attend. A reusable bag, some sandwiches, frozen bottles of water and we're good to go!
    Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 10:59 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Wow, you guys are awesome!! It didn't dawn on me to ask the libraries what they have going. Thanks for helping me out!
    MoMofTWOkiddos

Answer by MoMofTWOkiddos at 1:38 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Not sure how old your kids are - the last week of school the elementary here sends all kinds of fliers home on different things going on over the summer. Usually the programs go down to pre-school age, so if you don't already have one in school, call and ask if they have any handouts (or just check the local school district website)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on May. 28, 2010