Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Details and "rights" on photo copyrights

Can anyone help me with some details on photo copyrights. I've tried reading up on it, on the internet and I can't find the specific answer to my question. The situation:

My sister is divorced. I have taken pictures of my niece with her permission. I find out the divorced husband has now plastered the litter girls pictures all over the internet on public profiles and is handing out the pictures to people that we (and I'd dare even say he) don't know.

I am wanting to know, on a copyright perspective, do I have any rights to at least have the pictures removed from the internet because it is his daughter in them?? I want to think no, but I know you can't post professional pictures taken unless you get permission. He never asked my permission.

Answer Question

Asked by sheenaloraine at 7:58 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You might want to call a lawyer, I know some can advise you of the laws for free.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • petty much? good grief! it's his kid too!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • Dear Anonymous #2, maybe next time before you post you should look at the QUESTION and ANSWER it. I was not asking for an opinion on what I should do. I was asking for facts on what I can do.

    I pray to God you never have a child exploited and never have to go through this grief, however by your statement I suppose you wouldn't have much. In which case I feel sorry for the child.

    Answer by sheenaloraine at 8:25 AM on May. 29, 2010

  • If you are a professional photographer who took the photos as such (not snap shots) then yes, you do have copyright. If not, then it sounds like your sister needs to take this up with her lawyer as possible child endangerment.

    Answer by scout_mom at 7:08 PM on May. 31, 2010

  • Report the photos to Facebook or MySpace. I think you can send a cease and desist letter. As far as I know, the works have an assumed copyright because you took them. You may get him to take them down, but you wouldn't win a financial settlement in court because they don't have any monetary value.

    Answer by lvpenguino at 2:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.