How do I tell my parents about my the new man in my life?

I am 27 year old single mom of three. My parents have never been happy with my choice in men. I was with my first for 7 years and had two boys. He was in his 40's and very abusive. I was with my second for two years and we had a baby girl together. He passed away nine months ago at the age of 25. I have been seeing a guy that is 54. He is very sweet but he is my baby girl's grandmother's ex-husband. How do i break the news to my side of the family??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Darlin' please consider what you are doing. This is just another bad decision in a long line of them. Don't expect support from your family. Remember there is a reason why he is an "ex". He wasn't worth keeping. It sounds like you may be searching for a dad to take care of you. You can take care of yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Original Poster: i understand what you are saying but his ex wife is a pain. She initiated the divorce because she was seeing someone else. I have become very independent in the last nine months because i had to. I wasn't looking for someone to take care of me or my kids. It just happened. He is very sweet and caring. He loves my kids and respects my feeling for my boyfriend that passed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on May. 28, 2010

• You are an adult and it's your decision to see who you want. It's a strange, small circle, but if he's a good man and you are happy then I say just tell them. Do your kids like him? Does he like your kids? How long have you been together? If your kids and him get along than that's a huge hurtle right there!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:38 AM on May. 28, 2010

• wow... you dont tell them. with that history and the fact that it is gma's ex... you dont tell them.. keep it on the down low until/unless you marry him...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Amalia: He's not an ex on my side of the family. its on my baby girls dad's side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 28, 2010

• You're 27; you don't need their approval or permission to date him. If you feel that it's time to tell them about him, then just do it. Tell them in such a way that you don't sound like you're asking for approval or permission, and make it clear that you are informing them, not asking them. If you don't want to hear their opinions of him, say so. But....I have to say, given when you put here, I can see why your family would be concerned, and I can also see how listening to them might not be such a bad thing. My ex was a loser and no one told me what they really thought until after we divorced. When I introduced them to my boyfriend, I asked for honesty, and got it. They all love him, but if they hadn't, it would have made me consider why and if they might have a point. Just give it some thought.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:49 AM on May. 28, 2010

I agree with this advice.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• op- that doesnt matter at all... you are so torn about telling them because you KNOW what the reaction will be --- they dont want to hear that you are dating that old of a man let alone your child;s gma's ex... that is just sooo Maury... i am not judging you - do what makes you happiest... but you asked how to tell them -- i am saying if you Really care about them. dont tell them!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:27 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Weird situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 28, 2010