13 month old, Temp 102 !

My daughter is 13 months old, she was fine all day until she woke up from afternoon nap at 4 pm and she felt warm but I thought it was because I had been holding her for her nap... so when she still felt warm at 5 I did a rectal temp and it was 102 ! So I called her Dr and the Dr said unless she is acting non responsive or sluggish there is not much to do except infant tylenol or motrin and hydrate constantly... so throughout the night she still had a slight temp, and this morning she is playing and acting normal, just still warm? Should I just keep up the infant tylenol until the temp is gone? Like, say, wait until this afternoon and see how her temp is after fluids and popsickles and such?
Just wondering what another mother's advice would be. Thank you! She has never had a temp before now.

All4OneN1forAll

Asked by All4OneN1forAll at 8:26 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure you monitor her temp.. Does she still have fever 1 hour after you give the tylenol? I would make sure she gets lots of fluids and rest,, but if Monday comes and she is still running a temp, you need to take her in. Hope she feels better Momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:45 AM on May. 28, 2010

• You just have to know your kid. My DD runs high temps that spike fast. She almost always runs more than 105 when sick. We have to rotate Motrin and Tylenol when she's sick to control her temp so she doesn't have febral seizures. I have learned to give her the fever reducer 10 min before it wears off or her fever spikes and her eyes glaze over. My DS, is a completely different story. He never has trouble with fever. He rarely runs over 101.5 and fever rarely phases him. He continues to play and acts like himself with fever, so I rarely give him medicine.

If your child has a history of spiking high fevers, if febral seizures run in the family, if she doesn't act like herself, or if the temp is 102.1 or greater, then treat it. If her temp is under 102, she doesn't have a history of spiking high fevers, seems completely comfortable and playing, then don't treat the fever with medicines, just dress her in cool cotton clothing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:01 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Nope, I would go to the doctor. My baby had a fever of 102 and the advice nurse said to just keep tylenol in her system. She was quiet, and not acting normal. I took her to the emergency room, because I just had a bad feeling. She ended up having a Kidney Infection.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:39 PM on May. 28, 2010