How many of you have had false positives after time allotted on HPT?

I've taken many HPTs during our TTC days and never had a (false) positive on a test that was past the time frame outlined in the instructions. Today, though, I did. I know it says invalid after so many minutes but that's never happened. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had a false positive after the time given? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I did. I've been through this. I took 2 more tests afterwards, because I found it confusing. I got a true false positive after about 15 minutes. It wasn't a gray ghost line like an evaporation line. It was a blue line, but it didn't show until agter 15 min and the allotted time was 10 min. The other 2 tests I took were a different brand and they showed a deffinite negative, even an hour later.

You should get a different brand of test. I have always had great results with Equate, EPT, and First Response. Don't even waste money on Answer. I've gotten confusing evaporation lines on every Answer I've ever taken. Also, the best advice I've ever been given is when 10 min has passed, throw the test away and never look at it again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:44 AM on May. 28, 2010

• The reason they tell you not to use a HPT's results after the allotted time is for this reason. You aren't getting a false positive. If you read it after the time frame then the test is invalid. There is a difference between an expired test which this would be since you are past your time to read the test and a false positive.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:47 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I have had them MANY MANY times. Where the line is pink, rather than grey like an evap would be. That is why you shouldn't read the tests after the time limit. They are very misleading =(
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:15 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I am the original poster - I re-took a pregnancy test today and it WAS positive within the time allowed. Thanks for your answers :)
    Anonymous