selling insurance?

so I've been out of work for over a year due to family reasons and then the job market sucking. recently i have been through the first stage interview for selling insurance to the 65plus age group. wondering if anyone does this how successful you are and what getting the job was like for anyone else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I sold insurance for Combined Insurance from 2001-2004. I was very successful because most of my clients were residuals, meaning I stopped by, went over their current policy, made sure that it was adequate, offered some new products occasionally, accepted premium payments and once a year asked for referrals to others who might be interested in our policies.

I did really great at it, it wasn't difficult getting the job. They paid my hotel expenses, testing fee, and two meals a day for the three weeks that I had to be away from home for training and licensing. It was REALLY fun but I missed my family. I didn't have a laptop or cell phone, so I suggest highly that you have at least one if you have to be away for more than a week.

I really enjoyed it, but you have to be a people person. I hope you get the job if this is what you really want. I loved it, but I am a stay at home mom now following my <3 to be a teacher. Good Luck
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 8:58 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I sell an insurance type product, i had to get my broker license. It pays well. I work out of my home.

Its legal "insurance". I love it.

EmmaWeekly.com
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:04 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It sounds like your looking into 1) Final Expense 2) Med Supps 3) Med Advantage. The market for med advantage has gone down, Final Expense and Med Supps are a much better market. Final Expense (burial insurance) is basically a small whole life policy and Med Supps are add ons to medicare and require the health side of your license.

What state are you in? Honestly, I would suggest not limiting yourself only to the senior market, but it is a good place to get started and learn the products in a decent amount of time. Also, being captive (i.e. you can only write for the company that hires you) has it's advantages, but you will see a hit in your commissions vs. being independent. For some, starting off captive is a good idea depending on a few different factors, such as their learning ability and their ability to put $ into the business, i.e. leads, gas, etc. Feel free to send me a message.
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 3:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2010