Vaginal oder postpardom

I have this horrible vaginal oder that started about 6days postpardom.
I shower and wash. Im not a dirty person. I dont know why theres an oder.
Its like a nasty fishy smell... Tmi i know... Im assuming this is not normal and im pretty embarresed
to go to the doctor for it. Any clue about this?
Happend to anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I think you should get it checked out,,, I assume your still bleeding? A fishy smell could be a sign that all of the afterbrith didn't come out as it should,, It is probably nothing,, but once after a D&C...I had the same thing,, and had to have the procedure repeated because it can cause an infection,, just call today,,, if your not still bleeding, that could also be a sign that there is still placenta inside,, good luck momma, did you have a boy or girl?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:49 AM on May. 28, 2010

• That can be normal. You have had all this blood/fluid in your body for 9 months that is being expelled out of your body now. Just continue to use your little squirt bottle they gave you and make sure you are changing your pads every few hours instead of waiting for them to be saturated or close to it. good luck and if it does make you feel uncomfortable still call your OB.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:49 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I forgot to tell you that the--blood that comes out does have a smell but it should smell like dead fish,, more like old blood,, it can be strong smelling but not awful!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• A fishy smell means bacterial vaginosis. I've struggled with this common infection after having all 3 of my babies. It's even more common than yeast infections. Most women assume they have a yeast infection when they actually have bacterial vaginosis. There is no reason to be embarrassed about talking to your dr about this. My dr told me it is extremely common, but you need an antibiotic.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:12 AM on May. 28, 2010

• i had the same thing and i ended up with an infection. did you get stitches? I know it's kinda gross, but I found that it helped one night when I took a shower and cleaned myself REALLY REALLY good and then I just sat on a towel naked and kinda let myself air out. It did help with the smell. But i still went to my midwife the next day.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:01 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Fishy smell is probably bacterial infection. It smells postpartum but not like dead fish. Get it checked out as your doctor has seen EVERYTHING, so there's nothing to be embarrased about. Good luck.
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 5:31 PM on May. 28, 2010