Benadryl Safe while breastfeeding?

Hey. I'm having an allergic reaction to some horse fly bites on the backs of my legs. I have been hydrocortisone on them, but it just isn't enough. I'm miserable! Is is safe to take benadryl while breastfeeding?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 9:08 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you shouldn't take it while BF,,, can you pump enough to get you through the next 8 hours and then take it? My doc had me take Zyrtec,,, but it didn't help the way Benadryl does. I am suprised the steroids aren't helping.. I had poisin oak while BF,, and I would pump ,,,,take the benadryl and pump and toss while on it,, after 24 hours pumped the fresh milk for about 8 hours and then took the benadryl! Good luck and don't scratch,, LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:13 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Benadryl IS safe (will not adversely affect your little one- may make him/her sleepy... Zyrtec on the other hand, has some nasty side affects), but will affect your supply. If you MUST take some, double up on fluids, and nurse very, very frequently.

Also- unless you're having a bad reaction and significant swelling, you can make a paste out of baking soda and apply that to help with the itching.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:38 AM on May. 28, 2010

• yes it absolutly is safe! the baking soda thing works but you have to wash it off in a few minute or it will burn sensitive skin.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:50 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Yes it is safe.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:51 AM on May. 28, 2010

• From kellymom.com:
    Antihistamines
    Mom's use of Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton are generally regarded to be compatible with breastfeeding, but always double-check the active ingredients. Monitor your infant for possible drowsiness if you use an antihistamine. The non-sedating antihistamines (below) are generally preferred and are less likely to sedate baby.

The ingredients of Claritin, Claritin-D, Allegra, Allegra-D, Actifed (the decongestant pseudoephedrine plus triprolidine) and Seldane have been approved by the AAP for use by nursing moms. Loratadine (Claritin) has been studied and the amount of loratadine that passes into breastmilk is extremely low. Claritin-D and Allegra-D have pseudoephedrine added which may effect milk supply). Dr. Hale has said that he prefers the nonsedating antihistamines (even though they are long-acting) over the sedating allergy medications. Zyrtec is generally considered to be compatible with bf.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:41 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Safe. Take it if you need to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:27 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Antihistamines

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 5:27 PM on May. 28, 2010