When someone divorces does that person have to be present?

I stumbled through my dh's divorce decree and noticed his signature was not on the decree only his ex and her new dh in her life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They don't have to be present at the final hearing but there does have to be a signature somewhere. I've had several divorces and never saw any of my ex's. They signed the paper in front of their lawyer then they sent it to me or had me sign it at the courthouse. If he failed/refused to sign and failed to show up to the final hearing after being notified then she won by default and there wouldn't be a signature for him.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:15 AM on May. 28, 2010

• When I got divorced, my Ex was not present at court. Thank goodness.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:32 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My ex was not there he just signed the papers before hand.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:03 AM on May. 28, 2010

• They do not have to be present and they do not always have to sign. When I left my ex-husband he disappeared. I had to put an ad in the newspaper where we had lived to attempt to give him notice. I also called his parents to let them know. It took a little extra time to do it this way, but it was completely legal. He never responded, and he didn't show up in court either (thank goodness). He never paid child support or attempted to visit our daughter either, so after a certain amount of time I had his parental rights terminated in much the same way. Thankfully he didn't show up for that either. That was over 11 years ago and I have not heard from him or his parents in all that time. I have moved several times, remarried, and changed my name, and I sti get collection calls looking for him; they tell me I am listed as a contact, and I always refer them to his parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Curious, why is his ex's new husband's signature on the divorce decree? That seems really strange.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 28, 2010

• OP here bc when the divorce was going to be final his ex walks in the court room very pregnant so they had to do a paternity first before they could finalize the divorce decree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on May. 29, 2010