tips on delivering naturally.did you get a epidural?

this is my second pregnancy and i really want to deliver with no epidural! with my first the nurses pressured me into getting the ep, i guess it makes their job easier if your not in so much pain. well my 1st labor only lasted 6 hours and i went 3 hours with nothing. and most say your second baby comes faster? well when i got the epidural the first time they messed up and i could taste it and felt numb in my sholders, i also still have a ball of fluid in my back where they gave me my first one (17 mos ago). i really really want to do it drug free what are some tips to help manage the pain.

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 9:39 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have two kids both i delivered vaginaly WITHOUT an epidural. i would close my eyes and just consetrate on relaxing. i would take deep breaths thru the contractions and even wiht really bad one i kinda moaned thru them....a quiet dim lighted room was nice for me....i only had trouble when the people would come ina check me or some one wanted me to talk. i would get annoyed and edgy....i jsut wanted to be left alone to do my thing. and the nurses would be like turn on your side or something but i was in my comfy spot and in my zone i didnt wasnt to move, talk or otherwise...lol...i am not going to lie it hurts....but it is only like super durep stomach cramps with some back presure...and the pushing when the head is crowning feels like a burning while your "area" is stretching to fit the head thru. but as soon as the head it out the pain is over....i am glad i did mine natural..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Focusing on a focal point while doing breathing techniques.

Answer by older at 9:43 AM on May. 28, 2010

• and if it gets too painful for you they can even give you a shot or put some pain meds in to you IV. and no it wont hurt the baby. they wouldnt give it to you if it would. there is also water birthing. i personally couldnt do this....cuz when i am in full labor stage two transition i do not want to be touched or move....lol...and water irritates me...lol..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't get why anyone would want to put themselves through that pain?? Unless you are in a dump hospital, I've never heard of any problems with getting an epidural. You don't get a medal for going natural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 28, 2010

• i went natural because i wanted to i was in a top notch hospital and i declined an epidural several times vuz i knew i could do it. it is part of the experience of giving birth. and once it is over you dont think about the pain you think about that wondeful baby u just delivered. i found by going natural i had a sence of accomplishment that alot of women these days deny themselves of. i knew i could do it and i did. i have a high thresh hold for pain. if you cry over a stubbed toe i suggest not going all natural
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• People go natural because it's healthier for the baby, not to get a medal.

I only made it to 5 cm and they got a epidural, but I knew I had wanted to get one. Try taking a lamaze class or and natural childbirth class. Those might help too.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:44 AM on May. 28, 2010

• i dont want a medal for going natural, i just hate taking any drugs period. and i did have problems with my epidural and my 1st is 17 mos old and i still have pain where i got it. and a friend of mine had a epidural at the hospital and 4 days later was told she was permanatly paralized by it. thats a big scare! couple hours of relief from pain, and parilized for life! thats really something to think about. i know its great for some people but for me im thinking it would be better to tough it out rather risking any more problems! i just wanted to know how bad delivery actually was without a ep,. and whats the best way to deal with the pain. thanks for the comments.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 11:32 AM on May. 28, 2010

• If I had had an epidural my daughter would most likely have been born via c-section and I REALLY wanted to avoid that. For both of our sakes. I ended up having to push on my hands and knees because in every other position my daughter's heartrate went way down. They were getting the c-section kit ready while the nurse had me trying different positions. I used a doula and the nurse I ended up with is a doula on the side and they were both really great.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:02 PM on May. 28, 2010

• With my first I didn't have an epidural until I had been pushing for about an hour and the dr decided they needed to use the vacuum (they would not use the vacuum without administering an epi first). I had no problem with the epi and so with my 2nd and 3rd I did have one - both times it actually speeded up my labor. So - yes, my 2nd and 3rd labors were faster, but I strongly believe it was because the epi allowed my body to relax instead of tensing with the pain.
    I had taken a natural childbirth class before the birth of my first and they went over relaxation techniques. If you want to go natural, I highly recommend a class!

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on May. 28, 2010

• walk, walk, walk. Try a rocking chair or birthing ball. Different things work for different moms and for different labors.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 1:40 PM on May. 28, 2010