Are there any other ways to check the baby besides ultrasound?

Frequent ultrasound scans during pregnancy may result in growth restriction in the womb and the birth of smaller babies, according to a study of almost 3,000 Australian women, writes Liz Hunt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yeah, the doctor would NEVER recommend something that is dangerous during pregnancy. NEVER. NEVER. just google thalidomide.
    mbmomof3

Answer by mbmomof3 at 8:36 PM on May. 31, 2010

• safer ways...no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:01 AM on May. 28, 2010

• A doppler is even more dangerous, so I used a fetoscope with my last. It was nice, I would listen to her heartbeat before bed every night.
    VolpeFemmina

Answer by VolpeFemmina at 10:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• thats bull .. if there was any problem ure doc would (or any US doc would) never recommend it. people in Aussie land are stupid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 28, 2010

• usually, it's the babies with the most problems (birth defects, low weight etc) that have to have more sonos because it's to monitor them....
    So....that's probably why there's a connection!!!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My ob told me that too many ultrasound baby might develop a speech problem in the future. So I'm trying to avoid as much as possible.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2010

• The World Health Organisation stresses that health technologies should be thoroughly evaluated prior to their widespread use. Ultrasound screening during pregnancy is now in widespread use without sufficient evaluation. Research has demonstrated its effectiveness for certain complications of pregnancy, but the published material does not justify the routine use of ultrasound in pregnant women. There is also insufficient information with regard to the safety of ultrasound use during pregnancy. There is as yet no comprehensive, multidisciplinary assessment of ultrasound use during pregnancy, including: clinical effectiveness, psychosocial effects, ethical considerations, legal implications, cost benefit, and safety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2010

• They are just trying to lower the use of ultrasound. Aren't they on UHC? Anyways, I had SEVERAL ultrasounds with all my kids and they were the size of average full term babies at 37 and 38 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Really??? Thank GOD for all the Ultra-Sounds I needed with my son..I had 4-5 of them!!! He was born at 39 weeks at 8.12lbs!!! Couldn't imagine having a larger child than that, he was painfull lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I have had ultrasound with all my children and had no problems. I had to have several so far with my current pregnancy due to inutero blood clots on the edge of the placenta that needed monitored. Liz Hunt is not a medical personel from what I can find so why would you trust a gossip columnist in this kind of stuff?
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:20 AM on May. 28, 2010