What would you do?

Dh has never been good about buying gifts. Usually I end up with a bag of smarties and some 5$ roses from Wal-mart still in the plastic bag, and a little 3$ stuffed animal. Last year he really dropped the ball when I graduated college and he didn't even say "Yay congrats!" or anything... I was super mad and he knew it. so I was hopwing for mothers day this year (Dd is 5 mos old) he would have stepped up a little bit. I gave him 50$ like 2 weeks before. The night before he goes out and buys a bottle of cheap wine (I don't mind cheap wine, the wine I drink is only 10$ a bottle, but this wasn't even the kind I drink!), a card (which he never even signed) and some 5$ orange roses. I kind of annoyed but I didn't say anything to him because it didn't even seem worth it. Then last night we are the mall and he goes what am I getting for fathers day? I said a bottle of nasty beer an unsigned card and some flowers. (con't)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• (con't) and he said No I want something better than that! I was like excuse me? I know it sounds petty and silly. But I don't understand why he can't just get something meaningful and NICE. Is it really that hard? I gave him 50$ and he barely spent 20$. There was so much that I was wanting to do for him for Fathers day and now I don't even want to. I really think I am just going to buy him some cheap nasty beer and an unsigned card. His comment last night just pissed me off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Next holiday, since you are paying for your own gift anyway, go shopping with him and pick out something nice. For father's day I say go all out and get him a good gift. Being petty in marriage isn't worth it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:23 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I know it may seem petty to others and it does a bit to me as well, but I would do that. Or I wouldn't get him anything. It's clear that he cares nothing about your wants and needs and ONLY ABOUT HIS! I'm sorry you got such a selfish husband. He may grow out of this and he may not, but until he shows you that he cares, then I would not show him that you do. Why spend so much of you time and love on someone who won't return the SAME back?

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:25 AM on May. 28, 2010

• i can't believe he even cares about fathers day.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:25 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My husband and I don't do much for each other on father's and mother's day, it's our daughter's thing. We're her parents, not each others. We just pretty much give each other the day off to veg out and do what ever. Even if you were disappointed I'd still go through with the original plans. He dropped the ball as a husband, but I'm guessing he's doing good in the father department? And really, that's all the day is really about, honoring the father. But on his birthday, feel free to go cheap and whatnot. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:27 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Ok, you get more than I do...lol I don't know why your complaining. What's this "giving him" $50 business?....Is that his allowance or do you "allow" him to spend that much on you?....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 28, 2010

• OP here: I do all of the money and the 50$ was no more than 50$. He had asked me how much he could spend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Ick... I would say go ahead and give him the good fathers day you planned so he would feel bad...but from the way he sounds, he wont......I am sorry you have a selfish husband.... the enxt holiday use your money and pick out your own gift lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:55 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Well I tried it all. My husband was worse than that. Finally he started to catch on. He is still some what careless about it though. For my birthday and Christmas he goes to Costco and gets me some peice of jewelry. He never wraps it up and just leaves it on the counter with a card. Uggh .
    I can't complain he is a great husband and wonderful father and takes good care of us. I mean I can complain but I am not going to.
    I keep telling my friends now I want sewing stuff how do I retrain the husband out of the jewelry store into the sewing store? I think I am just gonna keep on getting the jewelry. What ever you make it clear and simple. Men don't take it any other way.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:44 PM on May. 28, 2010