Going back to work after 3 years of being a SAHM

Is it possible??????
I have been looking for more than 6 months for ANY job part time full time temp everything.
I have only been a factory worker, cashier and customer service . I never went to college, I don't have skills besides what I have done in the past.
I quit working when I had my 3 year old because I was able to because we believe ALL mom's should be home with the kid(s) til lthey are school if they can I was able to so I did.
I have had several interviews and when they hear that I haven't worked in over 3 years they get this look on thier face like "CRAP". I instantly know they arne't going to hire me then.
How can I provide for my family if I can't get back into the workforce???
Until one of us can find a job we HAVE to be on PA sorry I know ALOT of people hate people on PA but we have no other choice.
I am looking for ANYTHING that pays that I can do to an extent I certainly can't be a nurse,etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am in the same boat. I have been trying for the last 3 months too and everyone wants you to have at least 3-5 years solid work history. It is very frustrating.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:31 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Did you volunteer your time during your stay-at-home years?  Were you on any kind of organizing committee for your church, kids school, or charity you're passionate about?  Were you the money manager at home during that time? You need to take those experiences to market yourself to your new potential employer.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Why not go on to college now? The grant money will help with bills and you can do a Work Study program getting paid and gaining some skills. Also, you can go to the temp agencies and tell them that you want to train and gain some skills. They have programs you can take at their office then get a certificate of completion that looks good on a resume.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:20 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I was a SAHM for 8 years and then went back to work. The starting pay at my first job wasn't what I would have wanted, but it was enough to squeak by and I just needed to get my foot in the door and get some experience. It is possible - make sure you have a good resume (temp agencies will sometimes help with this if you sign up with them) and keep trying!

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You will get something even if it takes a while. I am in the same boat but been home like 4 years. I am a CNA and those jobs are usually everywhere if you are willing to take anything but there is just nothing!
    Anonymous

• I agree with missanc. Try a temp agency. Focus on the skills you have that are transferable to other jobs. Many employers want someone with customer service experience. Don't forget any computer programs you might know.

Have you explained at the interview why you haven't worked in three years? Don't let employers think you haven't been doing anything for that time. Tell them it was the plan along to go back to work once your child turned three. Could be they are afraid you are going to up and quit for no reason.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:20 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You need to learn some marketable job skills. Check with the public aid office; they may have a welfare to work program (I used to do job search and interview training for one in Chicago).

If not, contact a local community college. Start with the financial aid office. At the minimum, take Microsoft Office classes (especially Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook) and at least one bookkeeping class.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on May. 29, 2010

• A few asked if I planned on having more kids in the future and I answered yes but NOT till hubby gets through school and he finds a job and has worked for a few years. SO really if they thought about what I said I basically said yes but in 2-3 years!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 29, 2010

• If you are looking for more than just a J-O-B ("Just Over Broke") and would like schedule your hours AROUND your family then I may have what you are looking for. Its a home based business with a 30-yr-old health and wellness company. All the training is free and online and we are partnered with Mercedes-Benz. This is not a "I just want let someone else decide what hours I work and then accept the pay they give me"-type of business. Its a legitimate home based business where your income potential is matched by your effort and your background DOESN'T matter. If you are willing to learn and to be coachable I can teach you how to be successful. Whether you need an extra $200, $500 or $5,000 per month, this business can change your life. Visit my website for more information www.choose.myarbonne.com or just contact me through CafeMom! I'd love to give you more info.
    AbbyJada

Answer by AbbyJada at 6:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010