What chores do you give your 3 year old?

I've always been the one to pick up after my daughter. She knows how to do it, just doesn't choose to. I am creating a chore chart w/ rewards, hopefully to encourage this behavior. I want to give her a few more responsibilities, other than brushing teeth and picking up toys. What are some ideas?

LuvMyBrennaBean

Asked by LuvMyBrennaBean at 10:28 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 4 year old likes to sweep and he likes to pull a chair up and take clothes out of washer and put them into dryer...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:30 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My almost 3 year old carries his dishes to the trash can, scrapes the plate, and puts them by the sink. He also helps pick up (mostly his toys).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Mine brings his dishes to the kitchen after meals, picks up toys, helps put away his laundry, washes his hands after eating & pottying, helps put groceries away (cans in the can cupboard), I think that's about it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 28, 2010

• At 3 my son was responsible for putting his clothes in his hamper, keeping his toys picked up, setting the table for dinner and other miscellaneous things that I asked him to do such as fetching dishes from the living room or dining room and helping with things like wiping and dusting.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:39 AM on May. 28, 2010

• When mine was 3, she was in charge of cleaning her room... not like sweeping/mopping, though she likes to sweep, but picking up her toys, putting laundry in the hamper, making the bed( which was usually just tossing the blanket back over it, but she got the idea) as she got older it remained a habit for her to pick up after herself.
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 1:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• From the time they were able to carry small objects my girls were taught they were responsible for putting their clothes into the laundry basket in their room, or the bathroom, and to put their shoes on the shoe rack. My 5 year old also likes washing the counters and tables and my 4 year old likes vaccumming the living room - of course I wash the tables and counters with cleaner first and then after I'm done Jenna just wipes them down with a damp cloth and I finish vacumming after Brianna does her part and even though they aren't really doing those bigger jobs themselves it gives them a sense of pride in the home when its clean and gets them in the routine of doing chores as they get older.
    Anonymous

• ...oh yea and they also bring dirty dishes into the kitchen, glasses and ceramics they put on the counter and plastic cups or soda cans they drop into the sink. They also help load the washer and dryer.
    Anonymous

• pick up toys, help put clothes away or dirty in the hamper, clear their place from the table, feed pets, pull up the covers on the bed.... my little one loved to help my husband with the recycles and would even put the bin or bags of paper out on recycle day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My 3 and four year old girls have to make their bed and clean their room, then I go behind them and perfect it! Stck to your guns!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I let my little one put the laundry into the dryer, she folds wash clothes and dish towels. I also let her towel dry the plastic containers. She puts her clothes away and has to pick up and put away her toys (where ever they are) every evening before bed.
    Spottychan

Answer by Spottychan at 11:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2010