Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support and Tax Refunds

Sooooo, I got a call from my ex husband that he had received notification that he is not getting a tax refund that he was expecting because it had been sent to me to pay his $2000 in back support that he missed. I had not heard anything about it and certainly don't have a check for that. Well, to make a long story short, he basically is trying to bully me into giving it back to him and both him and his fiancee are harassing me about this money. Keep in mind here is it June almost and I still don't even have it. I for one am shocked that he even feels that he is entitled to this money in the first place. Secondly, I feel like though I make double with the 2 of them make together and don't really need it, this is like some sort of karma for him leaving me with $10,000 in debt to pay off on my own. So right now, I am toggling between wanting to just give it back to him so he will leave me the hell alone and keeping it to


Asked by BriHan06 at 10:39 AM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 19 (7,166 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • put in my daughters college fund or something like that... I just know he is an idiot and won't leave me alone about it. What do you guys think?

    Answer by BriHan06 at 10:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • you (your daughter) are entitled to that money. Tell him to shove it

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:42 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • I think he is an ass and if he didn't pay it to begin with and the government took it, screw him. What he thinks this will accomplish, I can't imagine. It sounds like he has a history of not paying child support so this will just keep happening. If you want to give it to him to shut him up, that is up to you. It just depends on how much of his crap you can take.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • No No don't give it to him lol my ex is trying to do the same damn thing. If it is a federal return the CS agency will hold it for 30 days if he is single or 6 months if he is re-married.

    I told my ex "to bad so sad I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you"

    Answer by Fordmomma at 10:53 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • lmao Fordmomma- I actually was considering giving it back until they (mainly his gf) got on facebook and stuff calling em a money hungry, miserable baby-mama that was just trying to make them miserable. Keep in mind I have not seen or spoken to these two morons since my divorce. I couldn't f*cking believe it. Baby-mama? WTF, I am not your damn baby-mama and will never be anyone's. After that, I considered buying Hannah something completely outrageous that she doesn't need or really even want just to act like the money hungry baby mama that I supposedly am. Maybe a pony or something lol

    Answer by BriHan06 at 10:56 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • HAHA I redecorated my DD's room and told him all about it...its so cute it looks like its out of a magizine and she loves it.

    Answer by Fordmomma at 11:06 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • I know in Ohio that is considered a gift and does not get credited to back support. You don't have to give it back and you shouldn't. If he is behind on child support you are entitled to the arrearage.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • you dont have to give it back and you should not have to! my sons father owes me over 10 grand and i still have not seen a dime of that and will be expecting to go back to court for that because they are putting him in contempt now

    Answer by elias1mamma22 at 2:25 PM on May. 29, 2010

  • Do NOT give it back to him. Tell him to stop harassing you about it and to call the agency who took it from him. Let him get put in his place by them.
    As far as the money being sent to you, you may want to find out where the check is. Who is handling your child support payments? Does your ex have it garnished from his wages? Is the dept of child support enforcement sending you the payments? If so, then they can give you the information of where the arrears are that they collected from him and tell you about when it should be released to you.
    If you don't need it when you get it then put it into a special account for the child for college or for when they turn 25. The child is not entitled to it, but it's a nice gesture if you feel you don't need it.
    If your ex filed jointly with his fiance then she can file to have her portion given back to her. His portion will be sent to you once she gets hers back.
    Best wishes!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:21 PM on May. 29, 2010