Is vegan the way to go?

I live pay check to paycheck so I'm not sure if I can afford it! Isn't organic food more expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Health

• It is WAY more expensive, but it just depends on your priorities financially and morally
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2010

• WAY more expensive doesn't even cover it! I would say go vegetarian, but not vegan... it's cheaper and easier to make the change...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:08 AM on May. 28, 2010

• No, it's not more expensive. I spend about $300/mo on a fam of 5- they DO eat eggs, but I do not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Some items can be more expensive, such as organic produce in a grocery store, but health food stores (we have one hee called FEEL RITE) it's not more expensive. And of course you can find local farmers who grow organic at farmers markets or grw your own. There are also organic farms that are CSA's, you buy a share of the harvest and each week you go get your share.

Personally I am not vegan or a vegetarian, but I do only buy organic beef, poultry and eggs. Wal-Mart has them, but when we buy a bigger freezer we plan on purchasing half a cow from a local organic farmer as well as chickens and turkeys.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:17 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Vegan does NOT = organic - vegan means no meat or meat products - no milk, eggs, or anything that has any of that stuff in it (and there are a lot of things out there that are no-nos on a vegan diet!). Regular vegetarian is cheaper - replacing expensive meat with other protein sources (beans - cheap, tofu, etc), but keeping the milk, eggs, etc. A person on a regular, non-veg or non-vegan diet can eat everything organic, or not, or both. Same with veg or vegan, nothing HAS to be organic. That's more green than veg or vegan. Going vegetarian would save you money because you wouldn't be eating meat. But going vegan, you'd be spending more time reading labels for the other animal products or making stuff from scratch. Start out by just replacing meat with other protein, not organic, and you should notice a difference in your monthly grocery bill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Also you can search for local organic farms that have veggies really cheap or farmers markets. Are you considering becoming vegan? Its a big leap from being a meat eater. If you are maybe you should just try not eating meat for awhile and then stop with the milk products etc...

Casarah13

Answer by Casarah13 at 12:21 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It IS more expensive, and not neccesary. Don't go vegan, your body would lack the proper nutrients it needs. Just use whole foods, good grains and no processed junk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on May. 29, 2010

• We are vegetarian and just can't quite get to vegan. We eat about 85% organic foods. There are three of us, and frequent extra teens. We spend $60-80 a week on groceries. We are healthy and energetic!

Feel free to contact me offlist with any questions, or for recipes/meal ideas and budget tips.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 AM on May. 29, 2010