how much weight should you gain in the 1st trimester?

or how much weight should i be afraid of gaining?

im hungry allll the time im terrified of gaining too much. if i dont eat i get sick to my stomach and weak and shaky.

lululovexox

Asked by lululovexox at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I lost 12 lbs.. I hate "morning" sickness (all day sickness is more like it)
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:46 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I lost 15 the first trimester and then gained 15 back the rest of the pregnancy.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:48 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I've known a lot of people who ate a lot in the first trimester and lost a few pounds or only gained a few. Don't starve yourself for fear of gaining some weight, just when you're hungry and not craving something crazy (pb and salsa sandwiches for me), eat veggies and fruit and it shouldn't be a problem.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:48 AM on May. 28, 2010

• At what rate should I gain weight during my pregnancy?

How much you should gain depends on your weight before you were pregnant and how far along you are in your pregnancy.

* Healthy weight before pregnancy:
    o 3-5 pounds during the first trimester
    o Approximately 1-2 pounds per week in the second trimester
    o Approximately 1-2 pounds per week in the third trimester
    * Underweight before pregnancy:
    o 5-6 pounds or more in your first trimester; this also can depend on how underweight you were before pregnancy & your health care provider's recommendations
    o 1-2 pounds per week in the second and third trimesters
    * Overweight before pregnancy:
    o Approximately 1-2 pounds in the first trimester
    o Approximately 1 pound per week during the last six months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I gained 7 in the first and 52 total.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 28, 2010

• First pregnancy I gained 20 pounds.Baby was 7 of it.Second pregnancy I gained 21 pounds.Baby was 7 of it.Third pregnancy I gained 65 pounds.but my health was good.but boy was I big!Baby was 10 pounds.And after he was born, I only had 20 pounds that stayed.So if you are hungry eat.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:57 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I lost 25 pounds with my first pregnancy in the first trimester and gained 6 pounds total.
    I lost 8 pounds in my first trimester with my second pregnancy and gained 9 pounds total.

I was a little over weight with both pregnancies and told not to gain more than 10 pounds.

Just remember that pregnancy is not a time to stuff your face with everthing you see nor is it a time to eat a ton of unhealthy foods.

A friend of mine had a baby 3 months ago and she gained 70 pounds during her pregnancy but she also ate McDonnalds every single day and ate MASSIVE quantities of food at every meal. She was just eating for the hell of it. The day after she found out she was pregnant she ate the biggest plate of pasta I've ever seen and said "Gosh I can't believe how much you have to eat when you're pregnant but hey at least I can eat whatever I want now"

That attitude cost her. She's only lost 10 of the 70 pounds so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Eat whenever you are hungry, just make sure it's something semi healthy (even an occasional milkshake isn't bad - it has protein, dairy, and carbs!). You usually don't gain much the first trimester, as someone else noted it's usually recommended to gain between 3-5 lbs or so - baby is VERY small at this point. Plus, it will help if you exercise too!

Answer by missanc at 11:42 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I was told 1- 3 lbs in the first trimester.

Just try to supplement your crazy cravings with something healthy like fresh fruit, veggies, or even a smoothie. :o)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:00 PM on May. 28, 2010

• first trimester should gain about 3 lbs, but I lost 2lbs. I guess you are lucky you didn't lost your appetitie like me.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 1:37 PM on May. 28, 2010