SIDS? Could they really not know what it is? (revised)

Might I add that I understand that SIDS is not only caused from blankets and that the cause is unknown but it's common sense that a baby can suffocate with a blanket over it's face. BIL just had his 2nd baby with a different mom 14 years later. We went to visit the baby in the hospital and yesterday at the house. They are wrapping him in big thick blankets. Two of them. It was 90 degrees here yesterday. The baby looks like he can't even breathe. We got to talking and my BIL said that his girlfriend puts the baby to bed with that blanket too. NOT swaddled. A loose, thick blanket. My husband told them it was a SIDS risk and the girlfriend said "he likes it." Meaning the blanket. Would you have said anything? I know it's not our business but if something was to happen I would feel terrible! His brother said "He gets cold. " Meanwhile they have nothig on him but a short sleeved onesie. They DO have sleep sacks but don't use them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dunno, the rules have changed sooo much since my kids were little. My kids were both belly sleepers, which is a big No No now. I never did put heavy blankets on them, just a light blankey, was enough. Especially if they had socks on lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:50 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I have recently learned that it is actually caused from a spinal issue during delivery (that can easliy be correct), but doctors are so worried about malpractice, that they wont tell anyone! ~ http://www.planetc1.com/cgi-bin/n/v.cgi?c=1&id=1162491419

I have a friend who is a chiropractor, and I asked her about this, and she agreed. She also told me that holding a baby upside down will naturally align their spine. ~ HMMMM .... remember when doctors all used to hold the baby upside down and spank its butt???? Maybe they actually knew something? and there was a lot less SIDS then too. I dont know all the science, but I think its worth considering to save a baby's life!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:59 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't agree with SIDS. For the simple fact that they "don't know what causes it". If a baby suffocates they say it's SIDS. If a baby drowns in his vomit they say it's SIDS. If a baby falls off a high place they say it's SIDS. None of those are SIDS. The baby died from suffocation, drowning, or falling from a high place. I don't agree that a baby can spontaneously die, just as an adult couldn't die without a reason. There is always a reason. I think SIDS is a cop out reason for babies dying. I actually feel bad for the parents who were told their babies died from SIDS, because they were never given the real reason their baby died. Doctors take the easy route way too often anymore, and as another post said it never used to be like this.

JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:13 PM on May. 28, 2010

• i would be curious to know if there is a link between Immunizations and SIDS. But would have to find a study that was not run by the multi billion dollar drug companies.
    Anonymous

• yes there is a link to sids and vaccines.. Japan did this study back in 1975 and they found that when the changed the vaccines age to two sids declined. Vaccines can be a link to many things... research them there are many websites out there. there is even one on here that is helpful. My son has not had a vaccine since the age of 12 months and ear ifections, long cold, sickness, and ect have disappeared!!!!
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 1:07 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I would get one of the SIDS handouts at the health dept. and give it to them.

If it is 90 degrees and baby is under a heavy blanket, being overheat is also a SIDS risk. Is the baby formula fed and sleeping separate from mom all the time, like in another room not in a bassinet in there room, too? Do they smoke?

If they do all of those things this is turning into a recipe for disaster.

SIDS is real. Unexplained death can mean plenty of things or SIDS. SIDS is like apnea, but where the breathing just never starts again. Suffocation is suffocation. Falling is accident. Vaccine reaction is vaccine reaction. Drowning is Drowning. Choking is Choking. But SIDS is still SIDS and is real but falsely applied to many instances that are not SIDS.

My cousins baby died in hospital of SIDS. She just stopped breathing on day 2 in her sleep and they could not get her to start again. They did an autopsy, no cause found. SIDS.
    Anonymous

• The day 2 thing might have been a birth injury as SIDS on day 2 is rare but we will never know. But maybe SIDS is just a generic "We don't know why" or "birth injury cover up" I am not sure but I go on the idea that it is real because an ounce of prevention... How hard is it not to overheat a baby, have em sleep near you in bassinet, run a fan, put them on their back, don't put heavy things or toys around them, answer their cries and watch for issues before 6 months, etc.

Not hard to do. So just do it I say.
    Anonymous

• It'd be really hard for me NOT to say something. And it doesn't matter what you call it (SIDS/suffocation/whatever), loose blankets are not a good idea. And especially a lot of them and risking overheating too. I can't believe they have sleepsacks and aren't using them. Scary. I know there are many resources out there, but here's a great list of safe sleep tips: https://www.halosleep.com/keep_your_baby_safe/safe_sleep_tips/
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 6:19 PM on May. 30, 2010