Sleeping on the floor

My 2 1/2 year old insists on sleeping on the floor under my 9 mo old's crib. She will not sleep in her bed. She will play in it - read books in it - do her prayers in it - and then Races to under the crib. We keep asking her why and all she says is "I sleep under crib." So now what??? Do I just ignore it and let her do it or any ideas on how to get her to change her mind and sleep in her bed??? It's obviously not a major problem - just one I don't really know what to do with!

Thanks

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 10:57 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• pick your battles... if she is sleeping well, I would let it go
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:59 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I'd just let her and be happy she's not trying to sleep IN it. :-) Besides, once she sits up and bumps her head real good, she'll most likely go back to her bed. My sister did this once when she spent the night when Kiwi was about 6 months (sis was 4) and said it was to keep Kiwi company and protect her during the night. Maybe she's just being a protective big sister? Sounds cute.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Ignore it, as long as she is sleeping and is safe, let her be
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:02 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My daughter almost 4 has started sleeping on the floor as well. I feel as long as shes sleeping and im not Forcing her to sleep on the floor (like she has NO bed) then more power too her lol.
    Nessasmomma

Answer by Nessasmomma at 11:04 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Maybe she likes the feeling of being closed in? It's the same reason a lot of kids struggle with the crib-to-toddler bed transition - they're not surrounded by the bars they're used to any more, they feel more vulnerable. It's probably comforting to her. Can you try a little canopy over her bed, like a little princess bed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Just let her. Be happy she's sleeping alone!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:21 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Sounds like there's something comforting about sleeping her her siblings crib. Whether it's because she can hear her sibling breathing at night, or it's because it's under the crib that is making her feel safe. My suggestion would be to put a low canopy on her bed. Just made out of fabric, you can usually buy them at places like Babies 'R' Us, I think. (Or you can make one.) This might create the same effect that she is seeking from sleeping under the crib. If it's the sound of her sister breathing at night you can get the Whomb sounds bear, or record the sound of her sister sleeping and turn it on for her at night.

I honestly wouldn't allow this to keep happening. You're allowing her to create a dependency that could become worse as she gets older. It may be harmless right now, but she might eventually want to crawl in the crib with her sibling. Which isn't a good idea.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:53 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I agree! JUst be grateful shes still in her room & not in your bed! :) Sleeping on the floor wont kill her!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 2:27 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It's not hurting her. If it was uncomfortable she wouldn't do it. My 2 1/2 year old will let me tuck her in her bed, but after I leave promptly pulls all her blankets off the bed and lays them on the floor and falls asleep. I just let her sleep until I go to bed and put her back in the bed and she'll sleep all night. Kids are funny sometimes. They like what they like. so just go with the flow. eventually she'll decide that the bed it more comfortable. Just take some pictures and put them in her scrapbook to show her when she's older. 8-)
    ldybgvld

Answer by ldybgvld at 3:49 PM on May. 28, 2010