What age did you stop brushing your child's teeth for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are 2 1/2 and 4. They both brush their own teeth, but we then "rebrush" them for just a second to make sure they didn't miss anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I can't say all my children were a certain age. I watched them brush if they didnt' do a good job I would help them. Once they were able to do a good job I let them go ahead and do it themselves. I still check though and they are 8, 6, 4 and 18 months. The youngest I brush her's.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:04 AM on May. 28, 2010

• We still do ours for him. He will be 7 next month. He does it in the morning, but at night for the "good" brushing we are there to help him. He doesn't know how to do a good job yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Kiwi is 5 and I brush her teeth at night, but she brushes after I do to "take care of what I missed". It makes her feel like she's doing it herself. She does it herself in the morning and afternoons.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:06 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I would say around 3 years old. I supervise now. If they miss stuff or I notice they didn't brush their tongue I just point out what they missed and ask them to continue brushing a little longer.
    Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and has been brushing her own teeth for 2-3 years.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 11:11 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I let my daughter brush them herself, then I go over them once more just to be sure. She's 3. We didn't start really brushing her teeth until she was almost two because she didn't even get her first tooth until she was after 1 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My dentists says to help until at least age 5, much younger than that and they can't be trusted to do a really through job. My son is 4 and he does his own in the morning with supervision and then his dad brushes and flosses for him at night.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:36 AM on May. 28, 2010

• A good childrens dentist wil tell that that kids dont have the dexterity they need to do a good enough jop until they are about 7 years old. Let him brush on his own as early as he wants to, but go back every night and get them brushed and flossed good before bed....
    Kids will especially miss the lower ones next to their tonuge, and against their cheeks. On the top, they miss the corners, because they only brush the fronts and backs ..LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:49 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Five or six. I am a fanantic about dental health

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 AM on May. 29, 2010