Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to adopt a specific child, where do I start?

My next door neighbor just died and her 4-year-old daughter was taken to an orphanage. The only relative she has is her grandmother who is physically and mentally unable to take care of her. I would really love to adopt that little girl but at the moment I don't even know where she is. How do I find out? Police? City hall? I have no idea.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • I would call social services to start off with, let them direct you where to go

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:03 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • Talk to social services, explain the situation and see if they can help you. Good luck, that is very sweet of you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • I have no idea how you could find out. I guess you could call the department of family and child services in your county and inquire about her, but I don't know if they would be able to confirm or deny where she is. It doesn't hurt to ask. If they do know where she is, like in foster care, they may be able to guide you to what steps to take.

    Answer by BlooBird at 11:06 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • DHS, CPS, SS, DCFS, whatever you have in your town/county. But be prepared for a long drawn out "battle" - you'll have to go through a LOT of stuff, home visits, the works - you can't just say you want to adopt the child and bam it's a done deal - it could take a couple of years or more to get through it all. GL.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • You want to go to your Social Services Department. You can find a contact number for them at your local government's website ( for example). From there you can get in contact with the right people who will help you make the effort to adopt this little girl. It will be a long and tiring road, but don't give up. All the best to you!

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:49 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • It's a shame that your neighbor didn't make arrangements for the child before hand by establishing a will or guardianship for her DD (something everyone should consider!) and then you wouldn't be in this situation. However, since you are, the others are right, check with your local government social services office and go from there. You will probably have to apply for fostercare license first (which entails a ton of paperwork, home visits, & rules), then you would foster the child w/the intent to adopt. The state would then have the final say over whether or not they approved the adoption.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.