Things are coming out of my waashing machine clean but they still smell a bit funny.... can't afford someone to come in and look at it right now, any idea what could be wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Run an empty cycle with hot water and the largest load water level, add 2 cups of vinegar to itand let it run throuh.....that should kill any odors! Then when you do laundry add 1/8 to 1/4 cup of vinegar into the fabric softener area, it will work as a fabric softener and kill odors (and nope, nothig will smell ike vinegar)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:20 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Every couple of months I clean my washing machine with vinegar. And if I feel the need I'll do another wash with bleach and put it on rinse cycle like 4 times with HOT water.

Check the area that captures the dirt and lint maybe. Maybe this link will give you more ideas on what could be cuasing it and how to fix it: SMELLY WASHING MACHINE

Good luck!

Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 11:20 AM on May. 28, 2010

• Run an empty load with just water and bleach sometimes if just needs a freshen up!! If wet clothes are left in there any amount of time even 30 minutes sometimes it gets stinky for some reason , this seems to help, I do this once a month because my daughter is prone to skin issues.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:24 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I would do as the otehrs said as well

But in my washer its brand new but I realized if I leave a load in to long like more than 2 hours or so ( like if I put a lod in and then go somewhere and dont put it in the dryer until I get home) .... it smells very musty and then I have to rewash with extra cleaner....so maybe yours is like that too?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:56 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I agree with everyone who suggested running a load with hot water and vinegar. Sometimes our towels come out smelling funky, so I wash them in really hot water, then use a dryer sheet. Obviously not everyting can be washed in hot water, though.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Throw a gallon of vinegar in there, with a cup of baking soda. If you have it, add a few drops of tea tree oil and lavendar essential oil. Orange oil is good, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 AM on May. 29, 2010

• If you have a front loading HE machine you need to get some washing machine cleaner (Tide makes it) and follow the directions.  You can try bleach, but I would not use vinegar.  My MIL used it to clean our machine while she was house sitting and I had to run 3 cycles of washing machine cleaner to eliminate the vinegar odor.  It was terrible!  I do run a cleaning cycle once a month, just to keep it fresh.  If you have a front loader, you need to keep the door open all the time when you're not using it to keep down on the smell and make sure not to let laundry set in it when finished (this applies to all machines, not just the HE). 

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:49 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Is it a new problem? Maybe you have hard water. Try adding 2-4 TBSP of washing soda to each load.
    Anonymous