Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you gotten a check for back support from fed tax return?

My ex filed a rapid refund, and illegally claimed the boys- THAT is another issue entirely.... I spoke w/ Child support enforcement, and was informed that his fed tax return would be garnished if he was over $500 behind (presently almost $3,000) to cover as much of the total amount as possible.

IF you have received a refund withheld check, how long did it take? I have had NO luck getting anyone from CSE to give me info. *le sigh* And per state law, I should already have it... $2,000 would be really nice to put toward debt!

Answer Question

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:19 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 34 (70,074 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • If he illegally claimed your sons you can file an amended return showing proof that you had the right to claim them. He will have to pay back every dime of it and interest even if they take it and give it to you.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 11:21 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • I am aware- BUT it serves no real purpose as I did not work enough last year to make it worth claiming them. It is the principal- I know, and he is aware that if he attempts to do so again, he will have some hefty consequences to pay. I'm dealing with a Sociopath, no reason to upset him unless it is NECESSARY. We're still laying low, and trying to keep our distance from him.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:29 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • Yes there is a reason to do this. If after 4 times of him doing this, he can be charged with a felony. Are you married? Did you file a joint return? Even if you didn't work last year that much you still should file a tax return if you made over 3,000 dollars. I actually believe you could get in trouble for not filing if you make over a certain amount. He may be a sociopath but there is nothing he can do to you and if he tries then you can file charges. We need to stop being worried as women about what these men are going to try and do what is best for our children and ourselves.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 11:47 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • Divorced. Already spoke with the IRS... If he does it again, then I will most definitely have to correct the situation. From personal experience with law enforcement, living in the south, I can not trust that when he shows up, that they will protect me. This is as much about safety as anything...

    As for the money that CSE sated they were taking from his fed return, I am simply wondering when I will see it.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:51 AM on May. 28, 2010

  • I didn't get mine until almost Sept. Sometimes it takes a while to process when it comes from the IRS to the state then on to us. It's worth the wait just to hear the anger in my x's voice to find out they took it again and gave it to me. He should know by now that they will take it! My x is an idiot!

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:18 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • Mcz- thanks... I have been kind of frustrated, because I was initially told that it would take no longer than 90 days, because he is not married. We go to court next week to readdress CS, and he may be arrested then (i hope). I know how slow the process can be, and I have heard a few women who didn't get back what they were supposed to, for whatever reason. Just really, really need the funds right now!

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:21 PM on May. 28, 2010

  • Last year I received my check in April from his federal tax return, it was like May from the state. This year he didn't file. But he has claimed my kids the last few years as well - I claim them as I am allowed to since they live with me more than 51% of the time. I have to mail in my returns because they won't allow me to do it electronically since he usually files before me. Each year we get a letter from the IRS stating that they kids were double claimed - if I claimed them correctly then I need to do nothing, if I claimed then incorrectly I need to file an amended return. Basically, all he's been doing is transferring his debt from CSE to debt from the IRS. If I were in his position, I'd rather owe CSE! They'll eventually catch up with him, and I can't wait until they do!

    Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on May. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.