Autism screen

Anyone else's 18 month old or 2yr old's pediatrician want them screened for autism? Is this a new thing they do a both these ages? Or have they always screened everyone for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 8, 10, and 12 year old weren't screened (my 12 year old has autism and his pediatrician never caught it - I had to INSIST on knowing where to get an evaluation). They did recently do a very short screen at my peds office for my 18 month old, but that may be because his brother has autism? I'm not sure.

Answer by missanc at 12:27 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My son has not been tested for it and he will be 2 in July, but he is also talking and doing things as normal kids should do and from what i understand they only do it on kids who aren't doing as much as they should be doing.
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 2:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• they usually dont test autism till they are closer to or three yrs old.
    greenegurls

Answer by greenegurls at 3:15 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Due to the rise in autism diagnoses, new standards were issued by the AMA urging pediatricians to do a screening with each well-child-check so that signs/symptoms of autism can be caught & addressed early. Children 18 mos. to 2 years are at the highest risk for developing autism symptoms, so screenings during this time are often more intense.
    Anonymous