Autism Screen

Anyone else's 18 month old or 2yr old's pediatrician want them screened for autism? Is this a new thing they do a both these ages? Or have they always screened everyone for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• there is no "screening" that I am aware of, but they may ask about milestones and other behaviors
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:33 AM on May. 28, 2010

• I heard a little on the subject. I wouldn't want to do just because of the chance of a misdiagnosis at that age. You always hear that young ones develop differently and at the same time they want to test for autism? No thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 28, 2010

• My son had an M-CHAT done at both checkups. I found it a little odd since we already expected it at the time and already had an appointment at a developmental specialist. So, I'm guessing it's something they do on all kids at our doctor.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:39 AM on May. 28, 2010

• OP: Our pedi's office has us fill out this questionairre thing twice and then from there I am not sure what else they do. They wanted it done at 18 months but we refused and then they wanted it done again at 2yrs and really insisted so I didn't know if this was normal or what. Or if anyone else has been through it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 28, 2010

• It is not standard procedure unless a child may not be meeting milestones timely.
    Anonymous

• OP here: Anon :48, that does make sense. Unfortunately, my son is behind and is being referred to speech therapy but then they wanted him screened as well.
    Anonymous

• Actually, due to the rise in autism diagnoses, new standards were issued by the AMA urging pediatricians to do a screening with each well-child-check so that signs/symptoms of autism can be caught & addressed early.
    Anonymous

• I would do the screening, with autism early intervention is key!
    TraceNspace

Answer by TraceNspace at 7:20 AM on May. 31, 2010

• It's acutall standard practice in m ped's office to answer a questionaire at the 18 month visit.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010