I'm stupid for paying my rent the day before it's due?

My rent is due the 10th (if I payed it the 11th I would be charged late fees) So I'm paying it the 9th because I need a little bit more money to pay it and that's when I get my next paycheck. So why does my mom call me stupid for not paying today
(she said pay it today, then i told her it's not due till the 10th. she called me stupid and hung up) WTF? I've got to learn to lie!!! Ugh! It's none of her F_ing business anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Clearly it's none of her business, so don't worry about what she has to say. Although, she may be worried about you messing up your credit score, seeing you wait till the last minute on your bills. However with that said, we don't pay our mortgage until the first of the month because that's when it's due and that's when the mortgage company auto withdrawal it form our account.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:13 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Because your mom is a control freak and needs to try and control you. I mean she actually hung up on you for saying you were going to pay your rent early, but not as early as she wants you too?... Control FREAK!
    I would go ahead with your plan and pay it on the 9th, it is still early and there will be no late fees. Ignore your mom, she sounds like a nut.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:14 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I'd tell her I don't have it all until payday. My rent is due on the 1st and I don't get paid until the 3rd so I'm late every month. My landlord knows why. She says as long as it's paid before the late charge applies on the 4th, it's not considered "late".

Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 PM on May. 28, 2010

• what a mean mom you have? Its really due on the 10th? Seem like thats a grace period. I'd pay it as early as the 1st if you have the money then you don't have to worry. Your mom sound a bit stupid if you ask me...SORRY...
    Anonymous

• Perhaps the 10th is a grace period or perhaps that is really the due date. When we were renting several years ago our rent was due the 7th of the month because that was when we moved it and signed our rental agreement. So it might be possible that the rent is really do on the 10th for the OP.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:43 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Why would you let someone use your money without paying you interest? I pay my bills online, on the business day before the due date.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 AM on May. 29, 2010

• By the way, your mother sounds toxic. Why is she in your life?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Sounds like your rent is due on the 1st, then the 10 days is a grace period. So technically you're late every month, but they just don't charge you late fees because it's the grace period. A grace period does not mean it's not late, it just means they don't charge you for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on May. 29, 2010