How to deal with competitive moms.

Help! My daughter is 12 months old and knows her shapes, colors, can use a shape sorter,speaks in 2-3 word sentences, knows 10 signs and can understand about 20. She can follow directions such as "go in my bag and get your cup" she can do puzzles, and pick out animals from a lineup. She has done everything early, and i have been teaching her academics, and etc since she was 4 mo old.
When ever we are in a playgroup or program at the library, the other moms seem put off by her skills. I dont "show off" or anything. But im not going to down play it either. One women actually told me it doesnt mean anything that she is so smart because it will most likely go away anyway. I feel proud of my daughter and proud all my hard work and effort is paying off. I cannot help it if she starts to sign, or asks me for what she wants, or points to things and asks "Whats that" My problem is with the parents who are rude, and insecure. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are a wonderful mother. You are letting your child explore her interests and learn at her pace.

First, you should be exploring academic options; your daughter will be in school much sooner that you think. If you are in Chicago, I will be happy to help you navigate the system.

Second, join a group for parents of gifted children, either on CafeMom or somewhere else. You may also want to look into enrichment classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on May. 29, 2010

• Ignore them.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 12:15 PM on May. 28, 2010

• dont take it to heart. you are doing a great job. and if youre dd is happy then that's awesome. you have every right to be proud of your little girl, and if someone says things like that it's because they envy you and your smart kid.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:16 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If its peace and friendship your looking for with other moms...I would make an effort to compliment thier children on small things you observe them doing..even if its not as well as your daughters. It will make the moms feel better...compliments go a long way,lol. I think its wonderful that your daughter is so advanced! Great job mama...you wanna come teach my toddler some stuff? lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:16 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I call BS. 12 month old babies cannot do all of that.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the last anon.
    Anonymous

• If you seriously spend all that time teaching your BABY academics, that's pretty freaking sad.Babies are BABIES, not little miniature Einsteins that you cram a bunch of knowledge in their heads just so you can show off. Quit pushing your poor little girl to be a genius to satisfy YOUR ego and let her be a BABY.
    Anonymous

• "If its peace and friendship your looking for with other moms...I would make an effort to compliment thier children on small things you observe them doing..even if its not as well as your daughters. It will make the moms feel better...compliments go a long way,lol. I think its wonderful that your daughter is so advanced! Great job mama...you wanna come teach my toddler some stuff? lol "

I agree with this. But i also find it a little bit hard to believe that a 12 month old can do this. My 11 month old can get her paci when I tell her to and points to things, but that's about it. but if your girl really does that stuff, good for her!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:27 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Anonymous
    "If you seriously spend all that time teaching your BABY academics, that's sad.Babies are BABIES, not little miniature Einsteins that you cram a bunch of knowledge in their heads just so you can show off. Quit pushing your poor little girl to be a genius - let her be a BABY."

I second this.

Why don't you just let her play, explore, and observe, and you join in with her.. ? My son is also very bright but I do not force it on him..
    Anonymous

• I am anon 3:11. My son is 15 months and does most of what her child can do besides puzzles. He only says a few words though. He also doesn't pick the animals out but he makes the noises if you point to them or show him a stuffed animal. I don't think the talking is far fetched either but a lot of it is probably aping to make her mom happy because her mom is probably so excitable about this. I just read books to my son (he LOVES books) and he loves them and recognizes them and knows what is coming next (ie: he will snort the page before the pig comes up). He also could use a shape sorter at 11 months (not the triangles for some reason). I don't think it's too far fetched since girls tend to be faster with language skills. And being pushed very hard might make her ape a lot.

I would be careful about pushing your daughter too much, is all, OP.

You don't actually have to work so hard at this. Let her be a baby.
    Anonymous