What would you do if...

A kid at my daughter's school had a birthday recently and her mom took pizza and cake for her daughter and her daughter's friends. This was all done during the regular lunch period at their regular table. Well since my daughter's birthday is in the summer and we were discussing her birthday she asked me if we could just celebrate it now at the end of the school year with pizza, at school, with her friends. Well I call today and they tell me that they (my daughter and her friends) will have to go to a separate room and that she can only invite up to 6 kids. What?
What can I do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• well i think thats stupid and they shouldnt allow parents to do that period. Thats favoring some kids over everyone else which i think isnt fair. You should get her friends numbers and have a party outside of school. Doing that will only make her look selfish
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Maybe someone expressed the fact that it's rude & thoughtless to celebrate a birthday in the lunchroom full of kids, inviting only a few to join in. That leaves a lot of kids to have hurt feelings, and now they are requiring you to do it in another room. I think it should do it in another room at least. Why not have it at your house instead of parading it in front of everyone??
    Anonymous

• I don't think that is fair either. That is why I DO want to do it for my daughter. Why should she be watching others eat pizza and cake and not be able to herself. So why would the school allow it for one student and not another? Maybe now they will think twice about allowing anyone to do it next year.
    Anonymous

• well maybe you can bring it for the entire class
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:33 PM on May. 28, 2010

• shay1130, I would if I could except that she rotates classes so not all her friends are in all her classes. I AM that type of parent. Just recently my 3rd grader had a tea party and I made her invite all the girls in her class. I hate when people are left out. I don't want to leave anyone out, but I also don't want my daughter to feel as if she is being treated unfairly by her school. Which she already does.
    Just for more info, my daughter and most of her friends are in the honor society, do not get in trouble, and are really good kids. The girls that got to have the bday party in the lunchroom are the "rich kids" the "preps".
    Anonymous

• Maybe someone complained about the party and they've changed policy. I don't think they should have allowed that in the first place.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:03 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Maybe i'm the odd man out here, but I think it's reasonable. They want you to do it in a separate room obviously because some kids were feeling left out last time.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:30 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Well I do not think it is fair. If a few students are allowed then all others should be too. If their parents want to then do the same they shoulc and can.
    Anonymous