Ear infections, would appreciate advice

My 9-month old son has had ear infections every 3 weeks since he started daycare in march. He's had a different antibiotic each time and the last one did not work. Am trying a new one hoping he will get better this time. Our ped is against surgery (tubes) for various reasons (post surgery complications). Have you experienced the same problem? Have your child undergone surgery and did it work? Am also considering stopping daycare for an alternative solution (at home nanny). Have you opted for this solution and did it help? Any feedback is more than welcomed! Thanks!!!

Mona02638

Asked by Mona02638 at 12:19 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stopping daycare will do u no good. ear infections arent contageous so its not the daycares fault...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:22 PM on May. 28, 2010

• for ear pain wet a washcloth with warm water ring it out and hold it against the ear and neck. be very careful about getting water in ears when washing hair. and use ear candles. they are cheap. and if you can get him to hold still they will suck everything out of his ear, including bacteria.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:22 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My son wasn't in daycare, but he did have recurrent ear infections when he was young. We did tubes for two of my kids, and that pretty much stopped the ear infections - no complications.

Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on May. 28, 2010

• ear infections are not caused by daycare, they are caused by fluid in the eustacian tubes, removing him won't stop them. You either have to wait to see if he outgrows them or get tubes. We got tubes and have been infection free for 2 years
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:27 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I had tubes put in twice when I was little and it helped, but I was 4-5. Be careful during bathtime. That could be a factor. Water can get in his ears and since the canal is so small, the water has a hard time getting out. Swimming can cause it too.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:46 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My pediatrician also recommends putting a little infant orajel on a baby q-tip and using that to help ease ear pain. It's worked for me.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:48 PM on May. 28, 2010

• try a garlic drop it helps with the pn and cures it.. but i repeat to all ppl once my son stopped vaccines so did the ear infections and nothing else has changed in his activites.
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 1:01 PM on May. 28, 2010

• They are right. Ear infections are not contagious. Removeing him from daycare wouldnt do any good. Does he eat laying flat on his back? Thats a leading cause of infant ear infections.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• when I used to get ear infections my parents would warm a little mineral oil to body temp and put a few drops in my ear then put cotton in my ears. don't know how it works, but it does. you can even just do the cotton. it keeps moisture and wind out of the ear.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:16 PM on May. 28, 2010

• At home care might help a little if your child keeps getting colds which then lead to fluid in the ears.
    My daughter had her adenoids removed and ear tubes put in in January. She was 19 months old. She had had ear infections about every other month or so up until that point. She has not had a single ear infection since. I should say, though, that her adenoids were 100% blocking which might have been more to blame. It was worth it for us. Also, consider a milk intolerance as it causes excess mucus.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:34 PM on May. 28, 2010