When your child graduates would be just as happy if they were to go to a Community College oppose to fancy College and expensive???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'll be happy no matter what path my kids choose, as long as they can support themselves and they are happy. There is NOTHING wrong with community college.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:41 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It depends on what field they were going into and what they wanted to do. Sometimes community college makes more sense, other times you need a 4 year degree. But if it suited the line of work they were interested in, I'd be thrilled for them!!

Answer by missanc at 12:55 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Personally I would be just as happy if they don't go to school at all. As long as they are happy, I'm happy...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:10 PM on May. 28, 2010

• As long as she's happy and can support herself legally then I don't care what she does, or what school she chooses to go to or even if she chooses to go.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:15 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Our kids went to 4 year colleges and had student loans and worked part time. It was hard but it was worth it. They don't have to fry burgers. LOL. seriously, encourage education...always.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:17 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I would. I say this because I applied to a few good schools and got in (Univ of Hawaii, USC and AZ State), but kinda last minute my parents informed us girls that they weren't paying for our college and we had to on our own. I can see why, my dad killed himself to put us through an amazing college-prep Catholic high school. It was 5k a year 20 years ago, and with 3 kids going at the same time, and no discount for any of us, it was a lot on him to pay for. SO...I ended up taking that semester off and went to a community college here and it's a good school and had a great criminal justice program. I ended up in the business field (marketing) and am now in college again, another comm. college and doing my classes online for a BBA. I am so fascinated with criminology, but after studying it and seeing some horrible things, I knew I couldn't do it every day and not be affected by it. I'm way too sensitive.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:24 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My son will be a High School Senior next year..and we plan on him spending the first two years at Community College, and then the second two at the college of his choice. ~ There is no reason to spend 20K, instaed of 10K per year, plus room and board. He still needs a few more year to grow up beofre he moves out anyway! ... LOL
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:57 PM on May. 28, 2010

• christyg: My son will be a High School Senior next year..and we plan on him spending the first two years at Community College, and then the second two at the college of his choice. ~ There is no reason to spend 20K, instaed of 10K per year, plus room and board. He still needs a few more year to grow up beofre he moves out anyway! ... LOL
    This is what more people should do! My husband works for a private university. He actually travels around to other states to talk about their transfer program. The students get their associates degree at their community college and then they transfer to his University for the 4 year degree. But they do it online so they don't have to move. AND the 1st year at the University (3rd year into the 4 yr degree) they actually do classes at their community college and pay community college rates. Then the 4th year is the only 1 they pay the university rate. It is a wonderful program!!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:09 PM on May. 28, 2010

• As long as my children are happy and self supporting, I don't care where they go to school.
    I have one that's in one of our cheaper state universities because Music Ed. majors are long and intensive and its better to start it at the university of their choice.
    His twin - he went to the local community college and has passed the state Law Enforcement certificate program. Couldn't be happier for him. He's now applying for jobs and going on interviews looking for the right position.

My younger two are looking at careers that will take either degrees or certificates at either a 4 yr university or a local community college.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:58 PM on May. 28, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with community college. It is a great (and cheaper) way to get the first coule years of a degree done.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:00 PM on May. 28, 2010