Do built in car seats expire in the same way that regular car seats expire?

My husband's parents van has two of them and the van is a 2000. Are the seats expired? They are ten years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Look in the owner manual of the car. You'll need the owner manual anyway to know what the age/weight limits are of the integrated (built in) car seat. If you do not know what the age/weight limits are then it would be unwise to use it. If you do not have access to the vehicle owner manual then you can take it to a dealership or call the manufacture and ask them.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:56 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Im not sure, but there are several car seat groups on here and im sure some of them will be able to tell you.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:31 PM on May. 28, 2010

• No, but they are not nearly as safe - my IL's used to have a van with them and I hated them, my kids weren't comfortable in them, we found it easier to install their own seats on the bench seat, kids were much happier.
    Anonymous

• They might. I read somewhere once, it was awhile ago, that it isn't the car seat itself that expires but the straps become weaker with so much use. That makes sense to me. Regular seat belts are the same and that is why they are replaced after an accident. I'd check into replacing the straps even if they do not expire like regular car seats.
    Anonymous

• I know that seat belts are considered mandatory safety equipment and dealers are required to fix them for free.. not sure if built in car seats would fall under same heading- worth a call to the dealership though...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:37 PM on May. 28, 2010