I know heartburn in pregnancy is normal but...

every 30 minutes??? REALLY??? I can't take tums everytime... what else can I do? I'm not eating spicy foods or anything I don't understand why its happening this often!!!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:46 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, I'm on prevacid (and still occasionally vomiting acid - gross).

There are two common reasons that I know of that causes heart burn in pregnancy:

1) Your stomach is being squished by the kid, and still making the normal amount of stomach acid for when it has more room...meaning the acid wants to find some place to go.

2) Your hormones during pregnancy cause your muscles and soft tissues to stretch and soften, which is important for getting baby out, but unfortunately sometimes this means that little plug on the top of your stomach to soften and be more open than it should.

You can talk to your doc about something stronger to take, also propping myself up with a bunch of pillows so I sleep more upright helps.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:55 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Trust me here, take PRILOSEC!!!!! I had "normal" heartburn with my first 3 pregnancies, and with my 4th it was a whole new thing. I had terrible reflux, I kept popping those tums and ended up with a kidney infection!! I never knew I could take anything else while pregnant. My midwife prescribed me Zantac and it didnt work so we moved up to the prilosec and MAN it was like miracle :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:49 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Welcome to MY world,lol.
    I eat Tums like they are candy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt but you know what really helps? Milk, Milkshakes and vanilla icecream, really helps put the fire out.
    Hope it goes away soon! I'm about ot go eat some more icecream myself,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:50 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You may have gallstones?! How far along are you? I had heartburn so bad i couldn't take it anymore i had my DD and sure enough i had gallstones and went in my gallbladder removed. I hope you don't but it's a possibility.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:51 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I didnt know I could take prilosec... Yeah this is my 4th and I have NEVER had heartburn like this! It's crazy!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:52 PM on May. 28, 2010

• OMG I was soooo sick with the last one, because of the reflux. I even had a u/s done to see if it was gallbladder issues. I NEVER knew too many antacids could cause kidney problems, I was shocked!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• With my firstborn I had heartburn so bad, I was prescribed Prilosec... with my second born it was so bad... It was terrible. We tried prilosec and a month later, it didn't work anymore. Then they tried another one... I forgot what it was called, month later, it didn't work anymore. They tried Nexium, month later, it didn't work. Finally, they did Reglan and Nexium and it worked just long enough for my babe to get here. I would definitely get it checked, but it is normal, believe it or not. :] But there are cases where it's not, and medical attention is needed. Good luck to you!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I went through it all the time and after my last child I still get it.

Yes, I also ate tums like they were candy, too me it was relief, but I would speak to your doctor. There should be a better way... :) Good luck. My youngest is 6.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:56 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I am 35 weeks and with each week the heartburn gets worse.. I go through a bottle of tums a week and I'm afraid of harming the baby by taking too many..
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:58 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Actually Prilosec is a class c medication because it has not been tested in humans but has had unfavorable results in animals. Prevacid is a safer over the counter med that you can take for heartburn, and it works just as well IMO. Prevacid is class B.
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 2:13 PM on May. 28, 2010