Sippy Cup Confusion

I am teaching my son how to use a sippy cup, but he seems to be having a hard time grasping the idea that he has to suck on it to get juice/milk, etc out. He prefers a regular cup or the bottle, but I'm trying to wean him off of the latter, as I don't want him to drink from a bottle any longer. He's almost 14 months old. Does anyone have any tips on how they taught their toddler to use a sippy cup?

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 2:02 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would lay my daughter back & cradle her in my arms as I would if I were rocking her & giving her a bottle. Except I gave her the sippy cup instead. She automatically started sucking on it just like she would if it were her bottle. That's what worked for us.
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 2:07 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I introduced the sippy by 7 months old so there wasn't an issue with it later on. Try different sippy cups, maybe he just doesn't like that one. Or let him use a regular cup, but only in his highchair or with your help.
    Anonymous

• Just keep trying. eventually he will suck by accident and then he will get it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:10 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My daughter didn't like sippy cups either but loved to suck on a straw so I bought her one that was leak resistant with a straw and she did great. maybe try a new type.
    ldybgvld

Answer by ldybgvld at 3:41 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I don't do sippy cups. I have a lidded cup (no sucking required).
    Anonymous

• I used one of the bigger sippy cups at first and my son found it hard to hold up to drink from it. Therefore, he'd just chew on it and wouldn't drink. I got one of the smaller sippy cups (The Nuby Brand in the 8 0z). He still only chewed on it. So I decided we're starting a new routine with this .. I started with the morning sippy cup. Laid him on his bean bag and he took right to it while watching his morning shows. Then after a week I gave him one before nap time. Then after a week I packed up the bottles (had another kid on the way) and gave him only sippy cups. Worked like a charm. But I did find that I had to recline him or lay him down before he'd attempt to use it properly. I guess that's when he realized that it was like the bottle only with a different technique.

If your son doesn't honestly like sippy cups there are straw cups. The nuby flip lid I believe it is called. Or there are lid cups like anon :59 suggests
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:30 PM on May. 28, 2010