What chores does your 6 year old do?

I need ideas. My hubby and I are in a constant debate over what is age appropriate and what is not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• takes out trash, pulls can up from rd on trash day, sweeps, clean kitchen table, of course cleans his own room, gathers dirty laundry for me to wash
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• He cleans his room and whatever items of his he leaves around the house. He waters the plants outside. He puts his own plates and cups in the sink and cleans where he ate.
    Anonymous

• my son is 5 1/2. He puts his laundry where it needs to be, keeps playroom nice (we have a strict 1 toy/game out at a time policy) keeps his bedroom and books clean. He does a lot of yard things, helps shop and put things away. He desires to do more, MUCH more.... I am hesitant. I enjoy his help but since my Mom overworked me I am leery of using him as free help. I'd never ask him to go get me a juice/pop although my husband finds that appropriate..... we're torn too, OP!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:05 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My daughter is 5 1/2 and she has quite a few chores. She cleans her room, puts away her clean clothes, keeps the dirty ones in the basket in her room, keeps her bathroom counter clean, cleans up the messes her dogs make (they love chewing things up), she puts away the plastic dishes that she can reach, helps rinse the plastic ones when I wash them, vacuums her room w/the small vacuum cleaner, takes care of her dishes (scraping them into the trash, rinsing them and putting them in the sink), she helps w/cooking by opening cans, getting the stuff not too heavy for her out of the fridge, keeps her bathroom clean (not w/chemicals and I do the toilet), and puts her stuff away at the end of the day. She loves doing her chores, and wants to do more, but like hibbingmom, I don't want to overwork her. She's my kid, not my slave, so I actually have to tell her to cut back a little and let me do some of it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:48 PM on May. 28, 2010