About three years ago I was told I have gum disease...

...but all they told me to do was brush twice a day, especially when I'm pregnant becaues it could caues birth defects. Is that really all I can do? My gums are very sensitive and I have to use a super soft brush or they bleed. I'm afraid my teeth will start falling out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Health

• i guess you could go get cleanings regularly and floss
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:59 PM on May. 28, 2010

• how did you know you had gum disease ..i was watching on tv this morning and it sounded pretty scary..it said that 70% of people with gum disease will get heart disease
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:01 PM on May. 28, 2010

• i'm sorry i didnt want to scare you saying that..its just i worry about mine sometimes because i have extra sensitve gums and i'm not the best at going to the dentist. they would seriously have to put me to sleep to clean my teeth!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:02 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Bleeding gums is a sign of gum disease. Use listerine, floss daily, brush your teeth twice a day. There is a mouth rinse you can get from your dentist. It costs about 20 bucks. Isnt the best tasting, but it lasts for a month and is specifically made to help with gum disease.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:08 PM on May. 28, 2010

• So that's really all you can do?
    shay, I went to a dental clinic to get my wisdom teeth pulled and they told me I did.
    Anonymous

• Pretty much. Keep up with your dental hygiene and it will really make a difference. What else do you want? Its really just about doing the normal things that you should be doing in the first place.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:11 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I have had gingivitis since I was 15 years old, (I am 61) I have had surgery to replace the bone the disease eats away, which is what holds your teeth to your gums. There are treatments out there for gum disease, you should see a gum specialist. I have my teeth deep cleaned at a periodontist office every three months, I would look into it if I were you,, just don't rely on brushing and flossing.

Answer by older at 3:12 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Well I don't have it THAT bad but I am in the first stages of gum disease. Periodontis? Probably messed up that spelling. At this point that is all my dentist told me to do.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 3:16 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Listen, if you are in the first stages go see a specialist now, catch it before it gets worse, just get a specialists opinion. Gums bleed because a pocket between the tooth and the gum line is created and food gets in there and makes them sensitive. I am not trying to scare you it is just I have been down that road too, and didn't pay much attention, and that is where it got worse.

Answer by older at 3:44 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Invest in a SonicCare toothbrush, but regular perio cleanings are in order.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on May. 29, 2010