Just venting about my pediatrician's office

So I realize my child has a tick on the back of her leg. I've never seen one or dealt with one before but it having legs was a clue. I called the Ped office and got the nurse (who historically is unhelpful but I thought I'd give her another chance.) I tell her I don't know what to do and she READS off instructions on how to remove one. I tell her I"m worried about getting the head out and lymes disease and wanted to bring her in so they could remove it. She said NOT to bring her in and repeated the instructions. I asked if I could take her to the ER. She said, "Why would you pay all that $ to remove a little tick?!" I said because I don't know how and my daughter squirms (16 mos). She said, "Don't you have a family member or friend to hold her down?!" Uh excuse me, I'm a first time mom and you are the doctor's office that I pay to be helpful. I hung up and went to UrgiCare. I'm switching doctors today! UrgiCare got it :-)

Jodeye

Asked by Jodeye at 3:26 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• good for u !! u made the right decision
    Anonymous

• wow! very unprofessional! why is it that the snottiest (is that even a word lol?) women in the world get jobs helping children? good for you for switching docs!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:29 PM on May. 28, 2010

• The first time (only time) my son had on on him I freaked out to took him to the ER. They pulled it out and put it in alcohol They told me most of the time the whole thing comes out and if it happens again to just pull it out myself. but they were really nice about it not rude.
    snowangel1979

Answer by snowangel1979 at 3:33 PM on May. 28, 2010

• The thing that makes me more angry after the fact is that the UrgiCare doctor explained that if the tick comes out within 36 hours (which it did), then you can avoid lymes disease. Plus he offered me a dose of antibiotics to ward off any potential lyme's disease. (I didn't take it though because she has bad reactions to amox.). The point is, my Primary Care office didn't bother to mention any of that. I know lymes disease isn't super common but what if, you know? At least give me the facts. Thanks for the support :-)
    Jodeye

Answer by Jodeye at 3:48 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You did the right thing. Even with an older child, squirmy is still squirmy and that makes it very hard to get ticks out. Good choice switching doctors too.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:52 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I'm sorry but I think you completely overreacted. The ER for a tick?? Seriously? I'm a first time mom, too, but damn, some of you are super neurotic. Why not just Google it? You'll probably find exactly the instructions she gave you plus more information including your concerns about the head and Lymes disease. For free. Or at least for no more than your normal internet bill.
    Anonymous

• I would have done the same thing. I don't know anything about ticks either except something about don't leave the legs in your skin or something like that. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to stuff like that. so I would have went to urgent care too. but I wouldn't have changed doctors I would have filed a compliant against her and reminded her that I am a paying patient and she has no right to talk to me like I am dumb. I f she doesn't like her job then go find a new one.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 4:21 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I think the nurse was right why would you pay $ to have a tick removed? She was probably just trying to tell you it wasnt that big of a deal and to just take tweezers and pull it out. Im not bashing you, she is just probably usedto mothers overreacting and was trying to just give you instructions.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:28 PM on May. 28, 2010

• While I think the ER might have been a bit much, the nurse was rude and unhelpful. It doesn't sound like she knows at all how to deal with the nervousness of first time moms and if that is true, she is in the wrong field. I think you made the right choice about switching doctors. She could have been nicer and more professional. With her attitude she has probably cost the doctor more than one patient.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:03 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You over reacted.

Chill out mom, you'll be happier in the long run.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2010