Do you have a SHOE FREE home??

If so how do you keep to that rule? We just got new "whitish" carpet and I'm tired of watching it get dirtier from dirty shoes. How do you stick to the no shoe rule??

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 3:47 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we have a no shoe rule. i have a shoe rack next to the entrance, and our friends/relatives who come regularly know the drill. but someone who's new, me or my DH just ask them nicely to take off their shoes. never had a problem really.
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 3:50 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Well we had a no shoe rule but we have people over at least 3 times a week and obviously we can't make people take off their shoes so the carpet got dirty anyway. Now we have a "no shoes upstairs" rule.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 3:51 PM on May. 28, 2010

• we have the shoe rack next to the door. people usually get the hint, but i dont mind if they dont because we dont have carpet so it gets dirty but i just swiffer...
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 3:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It's a hawaiin tradition did you know that? Just tell them you're keeping the Hawaiin tradition because you love Hawaii.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:02 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I wish I could figure that out too. My new house has dark hardwood floors and every speck of dirt shows up. I have to mop almost every day...but everyone is too lazy to take their shoes off.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:09 PM on May. 28, 2010

• We have a show rack by both doors. SO has 'house slippers'
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:42 PM on May. 28, 2010

• We have a shoe free house and it is a bit of a pain getting the kids to follow it when they are young, but almost everyone we know is shoe free around here so it isn't a big deal to ask them to remove their shoes when the come in. We have a shoe rack by the door and also have some extra slippers for those who do not wish to go shoe free.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:53 PM on May. 28, 2010

• We have a shoe rack right outside the back door, my kids have grown up not wearing shoes inside so it's never been a big deal. When I married my husband a couple of years ago it took some getting used to for him, but he understands why. We have hardwoods in the front of the house, so I don't usually worry about asking people who come to the front to take their shoes off.

Answer by missanc at 7:09 PM on May. 28, 2010

• LOL If you are a mom, you know exactly what a no shoe rule is! I always say "Nice and neat" to my kids and they just picked up on it now and they know where to place their shoes. Its corny but we sing it sometimes. But for company I never say anything. You could put a sweet cute little note hanging on your front door.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:42 PM on May. 28, 2010

• We have a shoe rack in our breeze way before entering our house and its required for everyone to take their shoes off before entering our house. I have even gone to posting a note on my front door shoes are to be taken off at the door.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2010