Do you think sharing a room is good or bad?

Say you all lived in a huge house and had the luxurity to chose. Whould your kids share a room or would each one have their own room? Why? Does it depend on age/sex?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I live in a 5 bedroom house. I currently have 4 kids, pregnant with #5 and we are finishing off our 3rd floor to have another bedroom so that when my baby is born the kids can all still have separate rooms. I like for all the kids to have their own room, their own space. My older 2 shared a room (both boys, 2 1/2 year apart) for the first 10 years of the oldest's life due to necessity, but it was very important to me for them to have their own room by the time they were teens (the oldest is now 12). I grew up with 4 siblings and we all had our own rooms too. It's a privacy issue for me.

Answer by missanc at 4:11 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My girls are only 5 years and 5 days old and they have seperate bedrooms. I don't think sharing a room is bad, I just think having their own room makes it more comfortable. I don't think one of them is good and the other is bad. But I do believe that people who have their kids sharing rooms do it because of lack of rooms.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:15 PM on May. 28, 2010

• if i had the option they would have their own room and a shared play room. i shared a room with my sister. i didnt really mind til i got older.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My children have their own room, but they share a bed in one of those rooms because that is what they want. They do have their own space for toys and playing though.
    Anonymous

• We have three kids in a three bedroom house- two share and one has a separate room. Ironically they all want to share- no one wants the solo room! The child with her own room sometimes wants to 'sleepover' with the other kids in their room!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:01 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If I had the CHOICE, my kids would have their own room. Right now, the choice is not there.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:50 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If I had a house with enough bedrooms I would let my kids have their own rooms. Right now all 3 share a room and they are getting sick of the limited space, lack of privacy/personal space and having to deal with each other.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:51 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If we had a big enough house, they would all have their own rooms. We hope to add a room on when they are all getting close to their teens. My girls LOVE sharing a room. My only boy... he does NOT want to share anymore. He shared with his younger sister until he turned 6 which was this yr. I know I shared a room until I was in 7th/8th grade. Never really bothered me. Did not spend much time in my room anyway, other than to sleep. Same with our kids.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 6:11 PM on May. 28, 2010

• We have 3 daughters and they have always shared rooms (sometimes all 3 in one room and then later on there was 2 in one room while the oldest had her own). When we bought a 4 bedroom house 3 years ago, each girl got their own room and they love it! Sharing rooms had its ups and downs, but I wish we could have afforded this house before they became older teens. There would have been less battles.

When I was growing up, I shared a bedroom with 2 brothers until I was 9 years old and then had my own room since because I was an only girl. We were too young to be bothered with gender differences back then so it never even crossed our minds.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:01 PM on May. 29, 2010