Can you diet or lose weight while breastfeeding?

novice2008

Asked by novice2008 at 4:26 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Health

• It is not recommended, no. You need more HEALTHY calories while breastfeeding. I honestly believe that eating healthier (fruits veggies,lots of protein, no processed foods) can aid in natural, gradual weight loss, especially while breastfeeding.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:32 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I lost weight, but was eating healthier and was more active and I was eating a ton so I was NOT dieting. It is not recommended to diet especially using pills etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:47 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It's not recommended while bf but if you healthy healthy and your cutting calories doesn't effect your milk supply you can. As far as losing weight i never could. Everyone says that bf helps with weight loss but for me it was the opposite.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 4:53 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Eating healthier foods typically does the trick; Weight Watchers has a program specifically designed for breastfeeding women though if you want to go that route. It is considered safe and all.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:44 PM on May. 28, 2010

• i wouldnt cut your calories, but i would be as active as possible, even if it's going for walks. for me, it took cutting out the snacking (junk) and rounding out my meals to finally see the scale start to drop. just keep fruits and water around the house. if i do get hungry between meals, i drink a big glass of water w/ a small snack.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:55 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Remember, that baby is sucking a lot of fat out of your body.

For the rest:

I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on May. 29, 2010