If you thought there was a chance that your neighbor child was being abused, would you call CPS? Even if you had no real proof?

I have heard more than one person say, "Well, we suspected, but didn't have proof" or "We didn't want to cause problems" after abuse cases have been reported or after a child dies of abuse... Why are people more worried about "causing problems" than saving a child from that nightmare?

I grew up with abuse, both physical and emotional... I can tell you right now, if I for a second though there was so much as a chance... I would step in, IF I'm wrong, great, but what if I'm not? I'm not willing to take that risk... What about you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:17 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. Better safe and sorry for the child. There are too many situations where the neighbors turn the other cheek. Don't be one of those neighbors.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:22 PM on May. 28, 2010

• yes i would. I've called the cops on a guy i thought looked suspicious that came into work..and i was only going by his looks. Yeah, i'm sooo shallow. Anyways, i know i would call if i suspected a neighbor.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:23 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I would probably call after doing some snooping. My husband can make friends with anyone, so I would probably have him get to know the neighbors and let me know what he thought. He has great intuition, usually better than mine.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:26 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I am a licensed Child Care provider....so I am MANDATED to report any suspicions, and I'm glad!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:36 PM on May. 28, 2010

• I would do it in a heartbeat. DH and I work with youth, so we have reported before on cases where there wasn't a lot of anything but claims by the teen, and it was nothing, but we still did it, because "what if it is really abuse?" and nothing was done? We can't take the risk with them.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:38 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Honestly, if I just had an inkling I wouldn't report it. I'd keep my eye out and try to find evidence/proof that something is going on. It's humiliating on the family to have CPS falsely called on them and it's embarrassing to be the person to falsely call it. I wouldn't just let it go, but I wouldn't resort to that immediately.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 5:40 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Not unless I had proof one way or the other. If I saw unusual bruising, messy child/undernourished, etc then Id call but if I just thought something was wrong and the child looked fine and was social,etc then no I would mind my own business.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:41 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It's pretty horrible and painful for an entire family (kids included) when falsely accused. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I would have to have some darn good reasons to call if it were me.
    Anonymous

• As a health-care professional working in a public school system I am also MANDATED to report any suspicions... so I don't think twice about it - it's my job literally and ethically!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 6:06 PM on May. 28, 2010

• As a former teacher, it was my job to report any suspected abuse. I would not hesitate to do it.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 6:08 PM on May. 28, 2010