Do you think it is possible for a person to live illegally in The United States for more than 18 years?

Many moms who live here illegally say that they are going to wait for their children to be 18 years old to initiate the papers for naturalization. And nobody knows why people prefer to come to The US illegally rather than legally. >LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep. I know a few that have and do.

My husband's uncle was in the process of becoming a legal resident after 20+ years of living here and making a life for himself. (His sister, a citizen, claimed him and blah blah blah, it's complicated.) The consulate told him he had to pick up some papers in Costa Rica in order to complete his application. So he went to Costa Rica, and now he's not allowed to come back for like 10 years. They won't even let him complete his application.

It REALLY pisses me off. They can't have it both ways. Yeah, he was illegal, but he was TRYING to become legal. And they fucked him over.

Nice.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:31 AM on May. 29, 2010

• "Anchor babies" are a booming business, and have been for decades, as for your question not only is it possible I believe in all likelihood those mothers will never be bothered with paperwork even then. After all, living in this country illegally is far more lucrative than the alternative.

Anonymous

• Here in Texas, I am sure it is possible!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 5:30 PM on May. 28, 2010

• i know someone (a friend's dad) who lives in canada (ok its not US , but close enough) illegally since past 13 years !! and his family is back in east (where im originally from) so i have no idea what he's waiting for. he claims the government is just going to hand him Canadian citizenship in a couple of months, and ive been hearing that since past 6 years ! he hasnt met his family since past 13 years, but he calls them everyday and sends money regularly also
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 5:31 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Yes, I do, I knew someone who was. she was also in a sham marriage for citizenship. For the record, she was french.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:31 PM on May. 28, 2010

• "Anchor babies" are a booming business

We are thought that parenting is a huge responsibility. But for these women "being a good parent" implicates crossing the border illegally, have children, let the government pay for prenatal care and delivery (we pay through our private insurance $12,000.00), They let the government pay for their children medical check ups. (our insurance pays $100.00 for each visit not including additional testing), They let the government pay for their children education, including school lunches. They don't have to worry about anything.
    Anonymous

• I know an English woman who's been here illegally for the past 30+ years. So yeah, it's entirely possible.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 5:37 PM on May. 28, 2010

• It makes sense since their children can claim them when the children become adults.
    Anonymous

• It absolutely is possible! A woman in my home town has been here for 30 years illegally. She works in the school system, is active in the community and everyone knows her and loves her. But she IS here illegally.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 5:52 PM on May. 28, 2010

• They do not come legally because of the long wait process and money needed. There is NO guaranteed entry. Try putting yourself in that position. Living in a place that has nothing: little food, no jobs, no $$$, and often times surrounded by danger. Often these folks have a family to care for. Would you attempt an IE or would you sit and wait with zero chance of improving your situation or your child's? I think most parents would do what ever it takes to provide for their children. I remember moms here saying that they'd get violent if they needed to provide for their child when the situation in Haiti was being discussed. Funny how it's ok for the business owner to hire the illegals, and pay them less (there by increasing their own profits). It's ok for ACs to use the cheap labor, buy the cheap goods, thereby ^ their funds. The guilty 1 is the poor II. what BS. what elist thinking.

Anonymous