What does your picky eater like to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on May. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nothing. One day, she'll eat something and then the next day, she throws it on the floor. I truly can't stand feeding her. I'm surprised that she's not just skin and bones. She won't eat anything. All day long, all she says is cookie cookie. The only cookies she knows are animal crackers and whole grain goldfish crackers, but even still I only let her have a few. I give her a healthy meal, if she doesn't eat it....that's it. I'm not going to jump through hoops trying to find something she'll eat when a few days before that, she ate whatever it is that she just threw on the floor. I am SO SICK of cleaning the kitchen floor. She just declined her dinner again....at this point...whatever, don't eat, I'm done.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:43 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Well, let's just say that if you have chicken nuggets , hot dog, pretzels, popcorn, pancakes(plain, no butter or syrup), scrambled eggs, or crunchy cheetos, you are a friend for life! Ah, the joy of autism and hypersensitivity to taste, texture, smell and temperature of food!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:47 PM on May. 28, 2010

• chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly, ice cream, french fries, and macaroni and cheese.

we have ventured into eating corn, asparagus, and spaghetti.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:54 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My kids aren't picky. They'll eat almost anything I put in front of them. They'll try anything new. I'm so lucky!
    Anonymous

• Your child is probably in what I call the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 PM on May. 28, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My picky eater isn't allowed to be picky. I am EXTREMELY picky and I blame my parents. So my son eats what he is given or he doesn't eat at all. Mind you, if I can tell he honestly doesn't like something I don't make him eat it, just give him more of what I know he does like.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:21 PM on May. 28, 2010

• My son is 5 and he sometimes does not eat until 5 pm...It is so stressful to get him to eat I don't even offer him the meals the rest of us eat..why bother, he won't eat!!

He will eat anything chocolate and only drink chocolate milk...Which is better then juice because it has the same nutrients as milk just with some sugar but less sugar then juice. These are the things he will only eat but it is touch and go because he has to be in the mood for them
    grape jelly toast, froot loops, apple jacks, trix, mini wheats, french toast, pancakes, corn dogs. hot dogs, hamburgers~ but all these better only have ketchup or he isn't eating~ also watermelon, canned green beans, spaghetti but it has to have meat chunks also known as~ "meatballs", anything chocolate, freezer pops, and trix yogurt but only in cotton candy flavor.
    it is very hard to feed a picky kid!
    Sometimes he will eat pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, green beans, watermelon
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:26 PM on May. 28, 2010