Will not eat Veggies...

My son will not eat any veggies... Should I be concerned??? Or should I try to force upon him??? I have introduced him to them on several times... But he will just push it away... He does eat fruit so can that be a subsitute???

JaYsMoMmY09

Asked by JaYsMoMmY09 at 6:50 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• How old is he?

Answer by louise2 at 6:56 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Try to read some stuff written by Ellyn Satter: one of the most sensible approaches to child nutrition I've ever heard. Take a look at this: https://ellynsatter.com/showArticle.jsp?id=744§ion=278. LIterally, serve the same food over and over and over again and make sure your child sees YOU enjoying it, even if he won't touch it. And you can serve it over and over in different preparations. (like in casseroles, baked, fried, with dip, in muffins, depending on what veggie we are talking about!)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:03 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Fruit is great and I would encourage him to eat as much as he wants of fruit - lots and lots. Vegetables are important too but I wouldn't force it. What are you giving him? My 2 year old loves eating a large salad with me. He likes chomping on lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, peppers etc.. Do you give him raw veggies?

I wouldn't worry too much - just keep offering, but also keep encouraging the fruit too.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:15 PM on May. 28, 2010

• If you don't allow junk food and he won't eat veggies what does he eat? Fruits are not substitutes for veggies - there are different things in them and a wide variety is very important. Just introducing them a few times will not do it. Let him help pick out something every week, have him help prepare it, and eat it with him. Growing your own in a garden makes a huge difference too, if he helps plant, watches it grow, and helps pick it. My kids definitely eat more veggies in the summer than in the winter - they prefer the fresh stuff straight out of our garden and aren't so fond of frozen, canned, or grocery store fresh - but they'll eat them. So yes, push the veggies, but in the way I told you. He needs them.
    Anonymous

• He's 16 mths...He eats lot and lots of fruits and on some occasions his teacher had told me he will eat veggies @ school.. He's a meat eater he will eat any and all meat and I eat veggies I cook veggies with almost evrything we eat... But he refuses to eat it even if I try to be smart and hide it in his food he will taste it i guess then he wont eat any of it at all.. I dont and will not force him to eat it at all...
    JaYsMoMmY09

Answer by JaYsMoMmY09 at 8:07 PM on May. 28, 2010

• You can trick children into eating things they have no idea they are eating, the trick is pureeing it and not letting them see you doing it.
    I will add veggies to tomato sauce and use it to make pizza, pasta sauce and a dip for garlic bread. I will also puree veggies and make meatballs, burgers, meatloaf. It's almost a half half mix. I will use anything I have on hand, spinach, peppers, onions, zuccini, carotts, mushrooms, broccoli and really anything you can puree, I did do asparagus once too. But also serve up a veggie with it and he may try it. Good luck!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:26 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Uhh Amanda beat me to it!!! My DD HATES carrots but I think she MUST have them to I puree them and put them in mac and chhese, grilled cheese sandwiches, all that. Anything with cheese in goes carrots. I put spinich on homemade pizza too. She thinks its pesto sauce! Things like thta. There are books as well!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:59 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Fruit is great, but I would not let him over eat them, it has tons of sugar & can be bad in the long run..
    My husband hates veggies.. I even slipped some carrots / peas into the sloppy joes one night & made the mistake of telling him while he was still eating... He ummmm... didnt finish his food that night!
    Its sad because he even says he would love to become vegetarian but yet he wont even try most of anything that has fruits in it! IDK what went wrong with him but he only eats high process, high fatty foods... and a green salad if im lucky... So if anyone knows a trick to getting a grown man to toughen up let me know!
    (If I had something to puree food, hed get it alot more lol)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:25 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Do you set a great example by eating them? Just like you, your child should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least three different colors.

Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    .
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Remember, a human can be healthy without meat; a human cannot be healthy without vegetables.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 AM on May. 29, 2010

• My girls were picky veggie eaters, too. I used to hide them in meatloaf, juices, and homemade breads. As long as they couldn't see them then they had no idea what they were eating and loved them. As they got older I found out that they preferred fresh, raw veggies instead of cooked ones so I keep plenty of those on hand, especially for snacking.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:04 PM on May. 29, 2010