If you test ok when you have the gestational diabetes test can you still have diabetes when you're not pregnant?

I have a sweet taste/smell constantly and a lot of people are suggesting that it might be diabetes so i was just wondering

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on May. 28, 2010 in Health

• It is possible to develop diabetes at any time. If you are concerned, a blood test can help the doctor diagnose you. ;)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:09 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Uhh. If you're diabetic and you get pregnant... you'll still have it. However, if you have gestational diabetes, it only means that you're this way during the pregnancy, and it does tend to go away after pregnancy. Rarely does it evolve into full on diabetes, but that's what follow ups are for! I hope I answered your question. It was kind of confusing to me...
    Anonymous

• If your sweet smell/taste was due to diabetes you would also be spilling sugar in your urine, which your care provider tests for at each prenatal.

Yes, it's possible to develop GD AFTER the glucose screen, but it's unlikely and difficult to diagnose because of blood glucose changes during pregnancy. Unless you have multiple risk factors (family history, personal history, being very overweight and inactive) AND tested borderline I'd stop worrying about it. GD isn't as serious as most would have you believe.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:18 PM on May. 28, 2010

• Yes, you can get diabetes at any time whether you had gestational diabetes or not. Check out The American Diabetes Association.

Anonymous